Review: LC Blue Grout Sponge

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by slanguage, Feb 10, 2009.

1. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

This is the LC blue grout spomge that Justin from Obsessive Detail carries.

The sponge is very thick. Firm, but still soft. Cross cut. Holds a lot of water and suds. I found it easy to clean off the dirt when using the 2BM and rubbing the sponge across the grit-guard in the rinse bucket.

It was my 1st time using a sponge of this type, but I liked it very much. I think this is a good sponge, and cleans well around washer nozzles, grills,and the like. I noticed it didn't cause any scratches or micro-marring (easy to notice on black, non-metallic paint).

Overall, I am pleased by this tool, and happy to add it to my wash media arsenal. I would highly reccomend it.

I took a couple of pics just to give you and idea of the size of it compared to the DD "uber" sponge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^^ Like I said, it's thick.

Thanks to Justin from Obsessive Detail for the hook-up :D

I hope this review was helpful. Enjoy :)

Roger.

2. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Whoops didn't see this. Good to see you liked it. Would you say it's the best wash media you've used?

3. slanguage

so far yes. I used to use mitts, but changed over to sponges at the end of last year. I love this sponge.

4. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

My favorite sponge!!

5. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I ordered 2 yesterday from AG, seems like a good addition to the schmitts and uber sponges:thumb:

6. slanguage

I have the uber sponges as well ;)

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

That looks like a pretty decent sponge! So how does it compare in firmness to the HD grout sponge and/or Lowe's Proline sponge?

8. slanguage

I haven't used either one of those :sorry:

9. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

I have the same sponge, and didn't like it :( I tried with ONR. It feels too stiff imo. It could be that I don't like any synthetic sponges to start with. While it didn't cause any marring, I just didn't like the feel of it! I haven't found anything to top my natural sea wool sponge.

It's a nice sponge for those who like synthetic sponges. I will probably put mine up for sale or trade in a few days. I just don't see myself using it.

10. blas

blas Birth of a Detailer

too big :(

11. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Thanks Roger, I've been eyeing this sponge for a while now and have been wanting to try it...Maybe I'll order it now...:thumb:

12. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

If you are looking to get one of these, let me know first. I have one that I am not going to use!

13. orionz06

orionz06 Virgin Detailer

i love mine for ONR washes... just the right feel

14. slanguage

Yeah, I just tried mine with ONR the other day. Good stuff.

15. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Nice. ONR is good but nothing beats a full on wash. I feel my car is so much cleaner afterwards.

16. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Well I used my LC blue sponge today during a full 2 bucket sudsy wash and I was super impressed. Overall I think this sponge combines the best characteristics you would want in your mitt/sponge.

My opinions:

- It has improved cleaning ability because the cross cut blocks help scrub a little better in comparison to a very soft flat foam design like the Zymol/DD sponge

-Holds a very good amount of suds so you can continuoulsy squeeze out more on the paint to keep everything well lubricated (for me this is extremely important)

- Comes cleaner easier with the use of a GritGuard as some said earlier. Also as I like about the DD sponge with the LC sponge it is very easy to spot dirt particles in the foam. This is often not as easy to do with say an MF wash mitt or classic lambswool mitt.

Overall as staed earlier I am impressed with the LC blue sponge and will continue to use it on future details:thumb:

17. orionz06

orionz06 Virgin Detailer

the thickness is great for ONR washes. it feels good, doesnt mar, and is easy to hold onto compared to the grout sponge... my grip doesnt prevent the sponge from being flat. I will be getting 2 or 3 more on my next order.

18. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I'm looking forward to trying out my LC sponge with ONR that I stocked up on during Christmas.

Briefly, what is the process when washing the car with an ONR solution and this grout sponge? I know some create a solution in a spray bottle and spray each panel prior to bringing the wash media saturated with ONR solution to the panel.

Do you make one pass along the panel, starting @ the highest point and then rinse the sponge in the bucket with solution, brush it on the grit guard and go at it again?

Thanks for the responses (in advance)

19. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

Bringing this back to life:

What are everyone's thoughts on cutting this sponge in half? As you can tell by the pictures, it's pretty thick. I'm getting one in today, and I was thinking of splitting it into two sponges.

Bad idea?

20. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I tried the sponge, don't like it. I'll keep mine around for tiling projects.

As for cutting your sponge, why not. Just a sponge.