repair pitted windshield?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by artemis53, Jan 28, 2013.

1. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Is there anything to do about pitted glass?

It is the windshield on a '96 Camry with 220k miles.

Obviously just being on the road for so long, it got abused and hit by tons of rocks...

I am not looking to replace the glass, but for some way to fill in TONS of small pits.

Not a single point of impact has any spider-webbing or other form of cracks or anything.

2. belair

belair Birth of a Detailer

I had a '96 too, never found anything that worked. Finally got tired of squinting thru the pits & spent a hundred and a half for a new replacement; well worth it to me for the lack of aggravation.

3. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I tried m105 on a yellow 4 inch pad on a rotary and saw no improvement, after 45 min on the same 2x2 area I called it quits. There are stone systems that are made to polish windsheilds, but after the cost of the kit and your time vs. a replacement it is not worth it. JMO

4. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

glass is a whole different animal that clear coat on a vehicle. Ive used a powder before that is meant to work for that, but the name escapes me, I'm sure someone else will remember for me. For a heavily pitted windshield you don't have many different choices, best bet is to just ante up and throw money together for a new one probbaly cheaper in the end time/product wise with way better results.

*** remembered now haha, the substance is called cerium oxide, but be careful cause I have heard it can damage the structural integrity to glass. I have only used it on junker cars and never saw a need for it cause in some cases it decreases clarity as well if not used properly. In the end, a new windshield will leave you with less anger***

5. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

thanks guys...

mainly i was looking for a cheap option because this is not my car and it is not a big problem.

guess it will end up staying the way it is!