Removing wax

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by StiCy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. StiCy

StiCy Birth of a Detailer

I am going to wax my car again. I put on a layer of Megs NXT and then a week later put on a layer of Megs #16. All of this was done 3-4 months ago. I am pretty sure the #16 is gone, leaving the NXT. My question is, do I need to remove everything and start over, if I am going to wax again? I have some Pinnicle SIGII and S100 wax to try out.

2. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I would. Wash the car with CWC or CWG at prep dilution (2oz per gallon IIRC). Then do an IPA wipedown afterwards. That should remove your LSP.

If you really want to make sure it's gone, spray down the car with a paint safe APC before washing. I use Optimum Power Clean in a pump style sprayer.

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Pretty sure that NXT is gone as well, I dont think its durability is grater tan #16/3-4 months. I would just strip and put some some new wax. Can strip by a citrus wash, APC, IPA, or a paint prep like product.

4. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

All the above will strip your wax, but since your not polishing, why not use a paint cleaner?

5. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

a strong wash followed by claying and an IPA wipedown will probably do the trick.

6. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

Megs paint cleaner will remove the wax as well

7. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

You could use a paint cleaner as well, I have never used a paint cleaner persoanlly that is why I always forget about that product.

8. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

you could do a wipedown with Prep-All or Prep-Sol after the wash. That will remove the old wax for sure.

9. StiCy

Would any S100 products work? I have a Harley dealership near by.

10. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

prep-all can be bought at wal-mart. It can be found in there joke of an auto section. should be somewhere near Bondo.

11. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

There total cycle clean, or something like that, is the same as p21s taw. That will strip wax. So will s100 paint cleaner.

12. StiCy

I read that the P21S paint cleaner contains polish. I wonder if the same is true for the S100?

13. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

The S100 product is called Total Cycle Cleaner. It's a paint safe APC/degreaser. I have some in an aerosol can.

14. 99tl

99tl Virgin Detailer

I noticed that when I use to wash the car with dish washing detergent that it would leave the paint kind of dull looking. Is that the case with S100?

15. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

How abt using Megs APC tp spray on the car? what is ur dillution for OPC to strip the wax?
    is it a good idea using apc to strip down the wax left over? any harm to the paint?

tq