Removing rust from brake calipers?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Emile, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Hi Guys,

I recently hit 30,000 miles on my Subaru and after a few harsh winters here and so many frequent car washings and rain falls, my calipers are looking quite rusty. They aren't painted calipers and I can get a picture up if anyone needs it, but rust is forming on the face of the calipers which isn't uncommon for a vehicle in the Northeast. I just think it looks ugly. How can I get rid of it without harming the calipers and surrounding areas?

Thanks,
    Emile

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Neutralizing -

Washing the paint film surface with a slightly alkaline car wash concentrate and thoroughly rinsing will neutralize the contaminants and remove them from the paints surface Detailer's clay removes imbedded brake dust and other contaminants by encapsulation, thereby eliminating the primary cause

Treatment-

By applying a suitable cleaner and then a rust inhibitor (POR-15® Products) it will arrest corrosion on contact without leaving a sticky residue that would attract dirt, dust or grime. Corrosion attacks metal by an electro¬chemical (galvanic) reaction with water as the catalyst. It penetrates the corrosion cells, emulsifying the moisture and separating it from the metal, leaving an ultra-thin barrier to protect from further damage.

Since most corrosion begins in crevices, (seams), it is important to have the capability to penetrate these crevices in order to form a protective barrier. Many heavier or more viscous products don't penetrate crevices, instead they form a `bridge', and while this may isolate the crevice from further contact with the electrolyte it does nothing to eliminate the presence of existing moisture or surface corrosion. Injection into a seam or crevice with an aerosol or spray eliminates this problem Por-15® Products Marine Clean

After the paint surface has been subjected to a chemical cleaning its protective layer (s) have been removed and the paint surface left without protection, so it is very important that a wax or polymer protection be applied immediately.

Rust Inhibitor Treatment

A three-part rust inhibitor treatment by POR-15®

1. Marne Clean ™ cleans and degreases in one application without leaving residues, noxious fumes or flammable solvents. Its water not solvent-based and it cleans without leaving residues, no other cleaner works as fast or as well. It makes petroleum-based cleaners almost obsolete because it can be diluted 5:1with distilled water, thoroughly rinse with clean water after completing your cleaning job.
    2. POR-15™ Metal Ready provides the best adhesion for POR-15® on any metal surface, including aluminium and shiny polished metal surfaces.
    3. POR-15® is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture.

3. GDAL

GDAL Guest

IMO ... the best way of removing rust is by sandblasting them.

I sandblasted my calipers 3 years ago and painted them with hi-temp spray paint (4 coats) and 2 coats of hi-temp clear. I couldn't afford powdercoating at the time, but they turned out great. They still look decent, but one of them lost most of the paint (still looks good though).

If I was you, I would save some money and perform the STI brembo swap ... LOL.

Here's a pic when I got them done ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]