Removing polish/wax residue off of flat black finish?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Kaban, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Hi,

I am dealing with some wheels that have an anodized flat black finish on the centers.

Around the edges of the wheel, there is a very slight white discoloration...

To me, it looks exactly like wax or polish residue. The lips of the wheel are plain polished, so I figured the person was polishing the lips by hand, was very sloppy and the polish got on the face of the wheel which is an anodized flat black finish.

I tried 3M general adhesive remover and IPA with a MF towel, but that didn't do anything at all... I usually use the 3M to remove wax residue off of black trim with ease... so I was surprised it didn't do anything.

Is there anything else I can use? I was thinking of rubbing compound but I a, worried it will make the area shinier than the rest of the finish.

Thanks

2. Rocket01

Rocket01 Birth of a Detailer

What about a paint cleanser like KAIO or P21s? It might pull the discoloration out of the finish and restore the original look

3. Kaban

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else?

4. Mike Lambert

Mike Lambert Birth of a Detailer

Try an ink eraser gently

5. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

I've used melamine sponges to remove polish residue from trim that wouldn't shift with just IPA. May be effective on this anodized surface too. But test it, the melamine sponges are abrasive.

Simply spray the area with water/IPA and rub gently.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

6. Kaban

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

The shine shop... do you mean a pencil eraser? Never heard of a "pen" eraser.

7. Mike Lambert

Mike Lambert Birth of a Detailer

The eraser that is white about 2 inches long and beveled on both ends. In the office supply section of most box stores