Removing Cement

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Dust2Glory, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Got a call from a Customer, she drove through wet cement. It has been on there for a while, it's mostly on the lower panels, and little spray patterns on the paint, but not a whole lot. Also seems to be inside the wheel well.

The lower panels are painted plastic.

I was told some stuff called Back Set:
    Cement Remover

Do you guys think the 3step Valu-guard system would help at all?

Anybody else have any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

oh and the City is footing the bill, I'm thinking $600-$800

Wash, clay, concrete removal, one step polish and wax

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Concrete Spots:

Calcified water spots on paint and glass, water and concrete spots are pretty much the same chemically; calcium carbonate, with the concrete being cross-linked with water

Removal

• Apply 1:1 ratio water with distilled White Vinegar solution, and using a spray bottle, spray that mixture on the spots and let them "soak." Then rinse with water and repeat as necessary.
    • If the ambient temperature water/vinegar mix does not work, warm (100-120 degrees) 100% distilled White Vinegar, saturate a clean kitchen sponge with pure vinegar and hold the sponge over the concrete spots for a few minutes
    • If the above do not remove them try equal parts distilled water, isopropyl alcohol and distilled white vinegar. The acid in the vinegar will help etch and dissolve the concrete.
    • Rinse the area thoroughly with water after the vinegar and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.

a) To remove concrete that has set use a Decontamination / Neutralization system
    a safe alkaline wash and neutralizing system the ABC wash apparently loosens the bond with the clear coat, after using the wash simply lift off any concrete with a plastic razor, for smaller specks use detailers clay, any subsequent etching will require an abrasive to level the paint surface, and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.

b) Back-Set by Romix is an acid alternative with no fumes or odours, molecularly breaks down the ionic bond in Portland cement, completely dissolving and releasing the hardened cement from any surface it is adhered to. Chemically speaking, Back-Set converts the positive ions in the hardened matrix into negative ions, which dissolves the cement into mud that can be rinsed away. Because it works chemically, rather than mechanically, Back-Set may be used to remove cured concrete, mortar, grout, and stucco from virtually any surface without harmAlways apply Back-Set to a dry surface area-

4. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

So do you think if I did the 3 step wash and then the Back-set, or vice versa that it would be enough?

5. green dimnd

green dimnd Birth of a Detailer

I would try the worst area with a 100% distilled white vinegar soak. If that does the job there's no need for the Back-Set. A friend had a similar issue and we covered every spot with vinegar soaked paper towel patches. After about ten minutes the cement was essentially dissolved.

6. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

how long had the cement been setting?

7. green dimnd

green dimnd Birth of a Detailer

About a week.

8. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

This stuff has been there for a few months.... will it make a difference?

9. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Only one way to find out....

I'd just keep soaking it down and try and rinse off as much as you can before touching it with clay... I can't imagine how quickly the clay will clog with grit.

10. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

this is true.... I imagine i would need something like red clay

11. billy

billy Obsessive Detailer

Las week we did 2 cars with concrete contamination on the roof and the side panels we place some towells with vinegar over night and clay them after that they came perfect
    just my:2cents:

12. Nica

Nica Banned

Very interesting thread, I've never dealt with concrete to be honest but at least now I have an idea as to how to deal with it, good thread :thumb:

13. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I need to go buy a gallon of vinegar.

14. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Ah, nice to hear some household stuff works for removing cement. I'll definitely have to remember that for future reference.

15. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

Just use the Back Set I gave you. I don't know about you, but I don't want to smell like vinegar at the end of the day, nor the client to come out and see vinegar soaked paper towels stuck to the side of the vehicle.
    The Back Set is a simple spray, let dwell, rinse and repeat process. With the aid of a plastic razor blade and caution, you will most likely not need red clay.

Let me know when you book the appointment. I'll be there with the tarp to lay down and the plastic razor blades. Order from topoftheline and they should have the Back Set to you within 3 days, if that. And dont use all of mine sucka! I need it to remove some cement from a Ridgeline!!!!!

16. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Hey where do you guys get 100% vinegar from?

17. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

You can get distilled whie vinegar from just about any grocery store.

18. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I don't know about that man... what is wrong with using a product that is cheap and works well? I guess I'm not into spending more money for something that does the same job just to keep up appearances...

19. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Just ignore him! TexasTB just likes to rustle my feathers

20. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

Have you ever removed cement? Not wet cement, but cement that has been on a vehicle for some time? Vinegar wont touch it. It may look like it, but it's not. And even it it "does", it'll take forever and a day to get it off. I mean, I could use water to get off cement, it'll work eventually. Water carved the grand canyon.

I was basically saying that I have used and tried Back Set and it WORKED. Quick and easy. Didn't have to spend a whole day trying different products. I dunno, just me......

To each his own, not busting your chops. No harm no foul.