Removing caked on brake dust/grime - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by rubberninja, Feb 9, 2009.

1. rubberninja

rubberninja Virgin Detailer

I'm doing some spring-cleaning on my DPE Forged wheels (alum lip) and am having significant trouble getting the crap from the winter off of the lips and inner barrels. Since the car is a Mercedes there is also that significant presence on the front wheels from the brakes etc... Nothing im trying is doing the trick and getting them back to the luster they once had. I'm sure it can be done with the right solutions/equipment/experience. Being a semi-novice at detailing I don’t have the extensive knowledge of products you all do.
    I was actually thinking of using CLR Cleaner on the aluminum parts since ive seen that stuff take off impossible rust and grime deposits on metals in the past. I was planning on testing the inside of the barrel before doing the outside lip but before I did anything I figured I’d get an expert opinion from you all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help

-Mike

2. Orlando Ortiz

Orlando Ortiz Virgin Detailer

I had some caked on brake dust on my wheels too... I prewashed them with Meguiars gel shampoo, then rinsed. Then I sprayed a lot of Meguiars Hot Rims wheel cleaner, agitated with a brush (and a small and soft toothbrush in certain areas) and rinsed again.

Voilá! Nice, shiny and clean wheels. That hot rims product might smell bad, but it does take all the crap from your wheels easily...

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Can't say I've ever used the Meg's hot Rims Wheel Cleaner but I have used Meg's Wheel Brightner, strong stuff and works great, just be careful on letting it sit for too long on the rims.

4. DetailnDude

DetailnDude Birth of a Detailer

I use Blue Ribbon Mag and wheel cleaner (heavily diluted)or Sparkle Wire wheel cleaner(mildly diluted) . Now these products are no joke and don't practice on a good wheel with them. They are acid based and if you use them be sure to have your body protcted and a super resperator One breath of these products and it's permanant goodnight... Now acid can only be used on painted,clear coated aluminum, or chrome wheels. do not use on a non coated alloy wheel you will ruin them (discolor). If you plan to try this be carefull and be sure to ask more questions.Because there is a lot more to know. NOTHING cleans wheels like acid based products.....do not let acid based products dry on any surface.
    Have a Great One !
    Bob :chips:

5. DetailnDude

DetailnDude Birth of a Detailer

blueribboninc.com
    This should be the right page..
    Have a Great One !
    Bob :headbang:

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

unless wheels are uncoated alluminum, you can use Megs Wheel Brightener 4:1. It will remove brake dust, even if you haven't cleaned your wheels for a year.

7. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

I think acid is too dangerous you don't even want that stuff around your house, especially if you have kids.

P21S gel wheel cleaner will do the job. Squirt it all over the wheel then spread it everywhere with the sponge. Let it set for 2 hours or more if it's really bad (but not in the sun) then agitate it with a brush and rinse off. This process can bring back even the worst wheels. My dad hadn't washed his Mercedes in 4 years and I was able to make the wheels look brand new after this process.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=30

After that, you might want to clay the wheels.

8. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

As a strong wheel cleaner I really like PoorBoys Spray and Rinse. Its very slightly acidic but safe for most all wheel finishes except uncoated aluminum I think. Its less harsh than Megs Wheel Brightener and is not a potent in smell.

Be sure to use plenty of water when washing and most importantly rinsing your wheels when using and harsher (no pH balanced) wheel cleaner.

9. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

I think most DPE's lips are uncoated high polished aluminum. So I would be very careful. I should have some DPE's soon so I should know lol.

To know for sure you can always call them up. They are very cool guys and I am sure if you ordered from them they will tell you.

10. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

honestly everytime i hear you represent the blue ribbon product i think of the cheap beer :gross:

11. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

i kinda cleaned my wheels yesterday, took them off couse had to do brake inspection before state inspection to be done. back wheels have black stuff on it that i barely could get off with metal brush (on inside of spokes, i have stock painted honda wheels, what would be good stuff to use? i wana do complete cleaning of wheels one day and put wheel was on and keep doing it for future. help please

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

As mentioned before, try something like an APC or P21S first. If it doesn't work, you will will need something stronger like Megs Wheel Brightener ( diluted down of course! ) or Poorboys Spray and Rinse and some applicable brushes. As you are a guy I'll also point this out. ONE WHEEL AT A TIME!!!!! Spray your cleaner on, wait 20 - 30 seconds for it to soak ( dwell time ) and agitate with a brush then rinse. Follow up with mitt and soapy water. RInse very well if you are using a stronger product. So many times I see guys freaking out when they see a product like Megs Wheel brightener being used. I do agree using them all the time is not good for wheels. The reason for this story is that on old wire wheels, the acid would get into the wheels and ruin the spokes. Not so much a problem on newer clear coated wheels. Use a little common sense,use proper dilutions, do one wheel at a time and you'll be fine. I have some acid here that makes Megs look like Kool-Aid and I've never damaged any wheels with it.

13. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

what kinda acid?
    im using eagle1 wheel and tire cleaner and it does good job on outside and now got armorall wheel cleaner and does same thing. but on inside i cant get that black stuff off. i wana see if somebody has samples of this stuff before i decide which one i like

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I sell the Poorboys Spray and Rinse which works well as noted by dsms. Its the strongest wheel cleaner I have. Spraying the P21S gel on there and letting it sit may do it as well as its able to sit and dwell for up to 2 hours ( if you have that long ).

15. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

I am surprised you didn't recommend a good 'steaming' Nica :applause2:

All jokes aside we have found that some wheels just need a medium/aggresive claying to lift most of the baked on brake dust.

16. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I agree with this poster-
    Question what do you do with the acid run-off when you rinse the wheels off?

See also "Wheel Surface Cleaning" post TOGWT

17. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I have to agree with Ken 100%. I use Megs WB and have never had a problem. In fact on a BMW that I did with krshultz the very outer lip was aluminum and it kind of discolored when we used Megs WB but we took some autosol to them and they shined up like new money. I have also used CGs Wheel Acid on some really horrible chrome wheels with no adverse affects either. Put me in the boat with folks not that impressed with P21S. I know its safe but not very strong and as far as safe I've found better and cheaper all wheel cleaners like AG Custom Wheel Cleaner, CGs Sticky Gel, Bilberry, and Sonax Extreme Wheel Cleaner. All of those are just as safe as P21s and clean as good if not better and are much cheaper. Also if you use something with acid and it really worries you just have a good APC handy like MS Super Green Stuff. After cleaning with an acidic cleaner then spray the APC on very liberally. The acidic wheel cleaner has a low PH and the APC has a really high PH and will neutralize any acidic wheel cleaner that may have been left behind.

Don't you think that if Megs WB was the anti-christ of wheel cleaners like a lot of folks make it out to be that Megs would be scared to death to have it in the hands of your average joe cleaning his wheels?

Dude I really respect your information but you should know that sheer storm water runoff has traces of acid, alkalines, and various metals in it. Heck go to any outfall from an industrial site and catch a storm water sample and check it for acids, alkalines and metals and see what you get. Oh and those amounts are ALLOWED by the EPA. You talk about the acid run off from cleaning wheels but what about the high alkalinity run off from rinsing an APC?

18. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

RubberNinja -

How did your wheels turn out. I recall in your thread you did state winter.
    The outer lips are uncoated. I'm not even sure if a wetsand / full polish on your wheels (polish -- various stages of metal compound polish/felt) will do the trick if its salt, etc that is etched int your wheels FWIW.