RE: Sealing new rims

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by rohit29, Sep 20, 2011.

1. rohit29

rohit29 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hello everyone, I just purchased new wheels for one of my cars and was wondering what would be the best course of action to put a layer or protection on them before mounting them on the car. I know that a few of the members of this forum have used menzerna powerlock/opti seal or other sealants with great success. I have menzerna powerlock and I also have blackfire metal sealant, I dont know how well thr blackfire will work on clearcoated metal. In guessing it would be ok for the barrels. Please advise.

2. KlineS157

KlineS157 Birth of a Detailer

I've used Prima Wheel Armour with great success!

3. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

I think you will want to go with blackfire metal sealant, if you have spare $60 sitting around I recommend doing opti-coat. That you won't have to re-seal you rims every summer and you can even wash break dust with regular car soap.

4. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

I use Rejex to seal mine. For $16 and a good 4+ months of protection while barely using any product, I can't complain.

5. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Ive used MPL, and Zaino Z2 successfully on many sets of wheels, so pretty much any sealant will work well. I usually top it up with V7, but if you want something more permanent, invest in some Opti Coat. Phil seems to be really liking it.....

6. F. Premens

F. Premens Any Rag Vehicle Washer

G-Techniq C5. :thumb:

7. extrabolts

extrabolts Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Prima wheel armour.

Keep in mind - nothing will stand up if you use a wheel cleaner or APC. Once you seal your wheels, just use normal car wash soap and light brushes to keep them clean. APC will remove most sealants in the first, or maybe second wash.

8. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

the new permanon is said to be good to around 500 degrees so brake dust cant stick. easy as hell to do and lasts 6 months.

9. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Zaino Z-2 or Blackfire all metal sealant work very well...Or even better - Gtechniq C5.

10. IID

IID DB Forum Supporter

I agree 100%

I've had C5 on my DD for almost a year,still holdong up like day 1

11. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I would consider

Prima Wheel Armour...
    or
    Wolf's Rim Shield.

Lately I have been putting Opti Coat 2 on first then treating it with a rim sealant.

12. apadilha-pe

apadilha-pe Virgin Detailer

How about Poorboy's Wheel Sealant? What do you think?