1. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just applied RBOE and it's streaking. Did it in the shade, rubbed in my palms (gritty) and applied with a foam pad. Applied a very thin coat and let sit for 20 min. as per directions. Removed with a mf and it looked good in the shade. Took it out in the sun and streaks galore. Took a clean mf and really had to buff and still minor streaks. Used a QD and it removed most of the streaks. Not too pleased with this wax. I've used a ton of waxes and never had a streak problem. Any comments? :help:

2. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I've let it sit for up to an hour before. It sounds like it wasn't cured yet. If you don.t like it, i'll take it off your hands.

3. Strytnyne

Strytnyne DB Forum Supporter

rofl i was about to say that

4. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Use a MF with low nap. It helps a lot on the streaking. I've let it sit for 4 hours before when cold. Its due to the very slow evaporating solvents :)

5. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

You said "gritty." Do you mean gritty like lots of little chunks? Of course, it's hard to say without seeing what you're talking about, but I wonder if you need to smooth the wax out more in your hands before applying it. I use my thumb, and really mash it around, until it's about the consistency of grease. Still gritty feeling between my fingers, but not very much.

Could be you also have it on thick. That seems to be a very common thing when folks first use RBOE. For cure time, I leave mine to set up a minimum of 30 minutes. If it's humid, hot, or both, I'll leave it longer than that. I buff twice - the first time to get the stickiest parts gone, and knock down the high spots. The second time I finish the job. For me, two steps of buffing really makes a big difference in ease of removal.

I've used RBOE a bunch of times, and I've never had a streaking problem. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this and get you fixed up. Don't give up on it - it's a wonderful wax, but there's definitely a learning curve. I think Ben himself would agree with that.

6. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

I did use a low nap mf towel. It's 80 degrees here. I did not remove the Victoria Mayham which is about 3 mos. old and was topped with OCW about a week ago. Should I strip everything off and start again? Didn't think RBOE would have an adverse effect over an existing wax. I don't have a garage, so letting a wax sit for 4 hours collecting dust is just not ideal for me.

7. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Best thing, start from a clean slate, strip down all old wax and put down a nice thin layer of wax. Use a applicator at first, heat it up a bit, or just leave the wax out in the sun for a bit to soften it up. Apply to the whole car, clean up some stuff, take a shower, get a sub or something. Come back with a short nap, and start buffing (slow strokes) and see how it goes. If you getting issues do a light mist of water or QD. Never had streaking as well. Wax does take a bit to learn but once you do, oh it is amazing!

8. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Thanks for the feed back. Yes, a little more gritty than Concorso. I did work ii in my palm with my other 2 fingers and it did smooth out. Not trying to be a smart ass, but I do know how to apply a nuba thin.

9. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

another trick is to use ice cold distilled water in a spritz bottle for the final wipe down.

10. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Fair enough. :lol: I should have been more specific - it seems to me that it is often people who have never applied wax with their bare hands who end up putting it on a bit too thickly. I didn't know you'd done the bare hands thing before.

As far as stripping the car first, I can't answer that. I've had two different sealants (AJT, Jetseal) under RBOE in the past, and they all played well together. I've never put RBOE on over top of any nuba other than itself.

11. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

It's blowing about 20mph here so leaving it on for an hour or so is not a good idea. Like I posted earlier...I don't have a garage. If I have to strip everytime I want to apply a new coat RBOE is not for me. Like I said, I've used some medium priced waxes like Souveran, Fuzion, P21S 100%, SSII, Max Wax, Natty blue/red, Victoria Mayham/Cahos and some higher priced waxes like Concorso and Vintage and never had a streaking problem.

12. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Maybe it doesn't like Mayham or OCW. LOL

13. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

You dont have to strip it everytime, just trying to help you figure out what causing the streaking as I have never seen it before.

Try and do a panel again, use a spriz of water to buff off, if you get streaking try and take a picture of it and post so we can see exactly how it looks

14. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Thanks, I'll try that. Paint is silver/grey, so it maybe hard to pick up the streaks, but I'll try to take a pic.

15. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

maybe you should sell it to me :)

16. Rubbish Boy

Rubbish Boy DB Certified Dealer

Sounds like you may to need leave it bit longer to cure, as mentioned above it does use a slow evaporating solvent so can take a bit of experimenting to find the sweet spot. You can't really compare it to the other waxes mentioned because it's not like them at all.