ran into a problem

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Ian, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I went to use my flex rotary for the first time on friday to buff out some head lights. It worked great and I loved it instantly! So today I went to do the same thing, start buffing some head lights ( as long with the rest of the car ) and the flex started spinning like normal on speed setting 3ish then it would slow down like it ws loosing power? Tried it a few more time and the same thing kept happening. Could one of the brush's crapped out already or is there a defect? Anyone run into this problem?
    Thanks, Ian

2. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

so far nothing is wrong with mine, I love it!

it seems like your's is overheating, I believe speed 3 is 2100 rpm?? thats high, and if you're using M105, which will cut n dry fast. then after that stage, there will be a lot of friction b/w the pad n surface. which creates more heat. I know my makita speed 3 is 1500 rpm, but flex speed 3 is not.

The flex guy during the 07/10 meet, he told me run the polisher at speed 6 with no load to cool the machine down, I tried it n it helped.

3. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I didn't even use it long enough for it to get warm never mind hot. and I was using Menzerna stuff

4. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

Could be the extension cord that you're using. If you're using a small gauge extension, try using a heavier gauge and see if that helps.

5. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I tried plugging the flex right into the wall and it still did the same thing and I used the same extension cord with my Mikita with no problem

6. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

In that case I would say that it's your machine. Contact them and send it in to them.

7. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I email Phil, waiting to see what he say's, since I got it from him. maybe we can trade for another one or something. Thanks, just seeing if anyone has ran into a problem like this before

8. tuscani2718

tuscani2718 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Any luck getting the flex to work?

9. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

speed 3 i believe is 1900 RPM's. It sounds like your issue is much like several folks including myself have experienced with the Makita 9227 Rotary. It's most likely your power cord. It could either be pinched or be pulling out of the machine . . . . . in turn what happens is the machine turns on and off depending on the angle of the plug and if its pinching the electricity out or if it's allowing the electricity back in.

Contact Phil and see if he can help you. Most likely your power cord will need to be replaced which shouldn't be very hard to do but again double check with Phil.

10. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

Contacted Phil, he is sending me a new one and I'm sending back the defective one.
    Thanks everyone!

11. tuscani2718

tuscani2718 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thats cool man, can't beat Phil's customer service.

12. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

that is awesome. Phil took care of that situation real quick.

Did you purchase the Flex from Phil or another vendor?

13. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

I think he got it from Phil...if not then Phil is a cool mojo.

14. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

Yes I got it from Phil at his meet he had. I laready sent back the broken one and recieved the new one the other day.
    Thanks, Phil!

15. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

Nice.