RainX vs. Collinite 845

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by TheRustySuper, Oct 23, 2012.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I've seen a lot of people who like to coat their windshields with Collinite 845, and heard some swear by RainX. Having done both on my car, I decided to do a bit of a test. I applied RainX to the drivers side of my windshield, and Collinite 845 to the passenger side.

It's been on for a few weeks now, and I have some results to report. When my car is wet after rain, there is less water on the RainX'ed side of my windshield than on the waxed side. Additionally, when driving in the rain, the water rolls off the RainX easier than the wax. It also rolls off the RainX at a lower speed than it does off the 845; I.e. when I'm going ~40 mph water is rolling up and off the RainX'ed side, but I have to be going faster for it to come off the waxed side. However, the 845 was much easier to apply--it buffed on and off with ease. However, the RainX, though easy to apply, was a pain to remove, and even after I thought I had buffed it all off, I still had some streaks. I should note I was working with a bottle of RainX given to my boyfriend by his dad, and it seems to be several years old.

I do a fair amount of city driving (so lots of wiper use) and a fair amount of highway as well, and my car is outside 24/7, so this should also be a really good test of the durability of both of these products on a windshield. I'll keep posting as time goes on, especially on through the winter.

Here's a picture of my car after some rain about a week ago, you can fee that less water remained on the drivers side, with the RainX applied.

[​IMG]

Hope that someone finds this helpful!

Clark

2. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Nice test, thanx for the info. I love Rain X 2 in 1 windshield washer fluid, works so well I don't need to apply anything else to the windshield. I use it in all my vehicles.

3. tpr676

tpr676 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Rain x always for me.

4. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

you should test Aquapel as well... I use RainX all the time, but Aquapel claims to last up to 6 months

5. React

React Birth of a Detailer

Need a test with glass guard :)

Thanks for sharing

6. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I have been testing the durability of both for a year now and have some interesting results to show. The next time I wash my car, I will shoot a short video and post it. the results might shock you!

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I'm using Aquapel and really like it.

8. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Can't complain about RainX other then its lifespan

9. nymisano

nymisano Virgin Detailer

Beading is not what should be used as a measure here. 845, or any sealant/wax will not only fill the micro size chips in a window causing bad sun reflections and an overall bad appearance, but will also wear onto your wipers causing chattering and windshield deposits. RainX is OK, but not nearly as effective or long lasting as Adam's glass sealant or Wolf's product. RainX also is more apt then the other glass sealants to cause wiper chattering. I should know, Ive used RainX for 20 years, and Adams since it was brought to market. Adam's glass sealant has lasted over 8 months on my home skylights.

10. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Picked up some auqapel, so Ill be interested to see how that goes.

RainX lifespan sucks, but when its working it seems to work well. Of course Im lucky it rains one a month during the winters out here.

11. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

How about quartz in windows

12. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

It's been a while, but when Rain-X initially came out it was not the product that you purchase today (likely because Quaker State bought them out). It was much stronger and lasted longer. I do like their gallon windshield washer fluid.

13. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

Rainx is good but poor durability

Aquapel was great and lasted a solid 4 months before I started testing Duraglass Nu Glass which removed the sealant.

Wolfs works like magic and lasts a long time. But, it is a total pain to remove. So bad to the point where I don't really want to use it, but will continue to.

Side note, always use DG Nu Glass before applying a glass sealant. That stuff is awesome in a bottle.

14. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

Can you please elaborate on the removal? Does it eventually fail and produce an effect like the layering of a sunburn?

15. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

GTechniq G1..you won't need another glass protectant for 2 years.

16. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

Wow, it certainly seems like there's a lot of products on the market for this purpose! I decided to test RainX and Colli 845 mostly because they were two products that I had on hand, and they're both inexpensive things that many people seem to have on hand. Plus I'm broke so I wanted to see what I had on hand that would work best xD It'll be interesting to see how much longer than RainX the 845 is going to last, since durability seems to be the thing that most people complain about with RainX.

17. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I don't know why, but I think the ones complaining about durability with RainX are doing something wrong. I will wash my car and post a video to explain why I say this...tomorrow. :p

18. chemguy626

chemguy626 Banned

You can also use CG jetseal. I personally use collinite 476 on my windows

19. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

By removing, I just meant that buffing off the haze is a total pain. A dry towel doesnt do much, nor does it when sprayed with water and then proceed to buff. I just try to use a very very diluted glass cleaner to get it looking clear again, but Im sure it effects the durability. As far as durability, Its really hard to judge the durability because we didnt get much rain here in STL over the summer. But it has been raining on and off here the past couple weeks and I believe I applied it to the glass back in June or so. I havent even seen a trace of it dying.

20. chemguy626

chemguy626 Banned

another good alternative is a synthetic wax on the windows...I find that it lasts longer than using rain-x