Rain-X Headlight Restoration Kit?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by newbie001, Jan 23, 2012.

1. newbie001

newbie001 Birth of a Detailer

Anybody know if this is as good as the Amazon reviews make it out to be?

Amazon.com: Rain-X Headlight Restoration Kit: Automotive

Or am I better buying professional headlight restoration products?

This is just for me and a 2000 Maxima. I don't need perfection, just something easy to use that has little chance of me screwing it up.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

just use a regular compound and polish. wetsand first if it's really bad. if your lights are yellow they will turn yellow shortly after correction if you just buff and seal them. you really need to wetsand them and have a professional painter clearcoat them if you want a permanent fix.

3. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

I've seen good results from the 3M Headlight Restoration kit which uses a drill and a seres of pads to clear and fix them.

4. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

5. KlineS157

KlineS157 Birth of a Detailer

I personally like the 3m kit, just because of the drill adaptor and included discs. But i bought it once and bought refill discs. I recommend to all my customers they invest in some sort of clear film after correction, because it will come back!

6. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

Opti-Coat them after the wetsanding and polishing. With the 3M kit I only used the drill for the 500 & 800 grit discs, then switch to a DA with 3" pad for the remaining sanding. Using a drill left too many tracers that are hard to remove.