Quick Detailer vs Clay Lube

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by kc1337, Sep 22, 2009.

1. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

I've got a question regarding quick detailers and clay lube.

Is a quick detailer the same as clay lube and can both be used vice versa?

Say for example ONR is often mentioned as clay lube, can I also use it to quick detail a car? Another scenario is how about using Finish Kare-425 as clay lube? Reason I ask this is because I am thinking of purchasing either ONR or FK425 as a quick detailer/clay lube.

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I'm not sure about the FK stuff but ONR can most definitely be used as a clay lube and quick detailer. The proper dilution ratios are on the bottle.

3. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

Why would you want to waste FK425 as a clay lube? 32oz of ONR will get you GALLONS of clay lube

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

ONR = best clay lube I have used, add a bit of #00 wash and its even better!

Reason you dont want to use a very powerful QD, one that leaves behind alot, is because it can hamper what you see as you clay, hurt the performance of clay a bit, and what is left behind can hurt wax bonding. Now ONR, after talking to Dr. G, does not leave behind that much, it does a little but not like OID, but will not hurt bonding as the solvents in wax will just clear it out. Now this can be true for many QDs but I would not use FK for two reason, 1. its expensive as a clay lube and 2. it does leave behind decent layer of protection. ONR has a few things going for it, 1. a very good lube, 2. nice no rise wash, 3. good glass cleaner, 4. good qd and finally 5. it is cheap

5. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

Thanks everyone!

So tonight I've established that FK425 is a very good QD, but not so good as a clay lube, while ONR is awesome at both.

side note, I heard that FK425 has anti-static properties, is the difference that noticeable or mainly a placebo effect?

6. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

That was what I was going to say.

FK425's anti-static properties don't make a huge difference to me, but that's not why I buy it.

7. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

you don't want to use a QD or spray sealant as clay lube if you are going to be doing paint correction, polishing and glazing by machine as the Quick detailer will leave protection behind which makes more work for you because more dewaxing and silicone removal will be needed as wax, silicone and surface tension hinders the working time and spreadability of an abrasive polish

I already do a two step silicone removal with Glasurit and De Beer products.