Questions about Micro Fiber Towels...

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by kdude, Aug 29, 2010.

1. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

When one compares quality of different type of microfib towels is there a way to rate the quality of the product ?

Is there one manufacturer that stands out from the pack ?

What's the proper way to clean / wash the towels...
    do you use TIDE to get the waxes / polishes / clay off the towels ?Do you put the towels in a dryer after the cleaning ....

thks guys... its tough learning curve when doing something you love but just don't have the experience...

any comments , suggestions etc.. are welcom :)

2. PJS

PJS Birth of a Detailer

70:30 blend is considered the best, but a lot of mf's are Chinese in origin, and they are not the best quality.

As for washing - 40-60ÂșC with no other laundry/cotton towels, and no fabric conditioner (liquid or dryer sheets).
    Various people will tell you only to use liquid detergent, and half what you'd normally use for a similar load size of regular washing, but I don't subscribe to powdered detergents not fully dissolving.
    Equally, don't use a brand of detergent that has a softener in-built (Bold in the UK), and it's personal preference if you want to use an eco product or one without fragrance.
    I tend to do an extra rinse cycle, just to be absolutely sure the detergent has been fully removed.

Tumble dry on high heat for 10-15 mins (depending on load size and type of fibre - long or short), then let the dryer run the typically 10 min cool-down phase.
    Leaves them very slightly damp, which it's this residual moisture that keeps them soft.
    Don't air dry on the washing line or rotary line - too much moisture loss, not to mention picking up what's in the air.

3. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

i heard that drying mf towels on high heat is bad and that it can cause the fibers to get damaged/melt

4. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

just from the experience of washing different fabrics i kinda of get it...

wash with mild detergent, spin dry on low heat .. prob an extra rinse just because i can :) !

I'm doing my first MF load as we speak... i'll let you guys know how it turns out...

thx for the quick reply's !

5. Camaro5Ryan

Camaro5Ryan Any Rag Vehicle Washer

:fs:

I tumble dry my MF on air fluff / no heat. If the fibers get to get too hot they can melt together causing hard fibers that will scratch your finish.

You can air dry your towels as well, just do it indoors to keep grit from accumulating in the towel.

6. PJS

PJS Birth of a Detailer

No hardened/melted/damaged fibres here - been tumble drying since day one.
    Where the problem occurs is if you overdry, which the moisture evaporating isn't such an instance.
    Low heat isn't warm enough unless you do set the timer for longer, so it's a bit of six of one, half a dozen of the other.
    Just like your household cotton towels, if you overdry them, they are rough and not nice until some moisture from your body has been absorbed, then they soften again.
    Exactly how a chamois works too.

Anyway, the upshot of it all is, don't remove ALL the moisture from the fabric, it's that which keeps it soft, not the material itself.

7. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

I don't get it. Won't the mf eventually dry out? Does this mean it will get rough after drying out? I've been drying in the dryer on low heat for years with no rough fibers.

8. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

No, this means that the residual water that leaves the fibers slightly damp will prevent the MF from drying out completely. The fibers can withstand boiling water temperatures but high heat could start damaging completely dry fibers.

The slight residual dampness will then be able to dry on its own. I personally believe that using some high heat for the initial drying period helps the MF retain some of its static attraction.

9. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I like to use Chemical Guys microfiber wash, occasionally dump in a little white distilled vinegar, rinse twice, and all my different microfibers turn out great.
    I dry on low heat, a long time, and then let them cycle through air dry, and if they go overnight and are still a little damp in the morning, that doesnt hurt mine either.

I never use any laundry detergents; believe they all have stuff in there that can possibly leave more soap products in the towels.

Since I started using my own method, all my microfibers, even the cheap ones I use for really dirty stuff, that I buy on sale at Target, all come out really cleaner and much softer than ever..

Good luck with your project !

WADetailer

10. rwright

rwright Birth of a Detailer

I like PakShak towels. 16"x16" Ultra-Smooth, Ultra-Plush, and Ultra-Edgeless

11. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

+1 for Pakshak towels.

12. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

where can i get PakShak towels?

13. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

strictly air dry here. my good towels from Pakshak have never seen the dryer. Not on high heat, not on low heat, not with any heat.

There is so much wind here that towels dry in a couple hours from just being hung up.

14. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

15. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

All the fluff and fibers of these towels make them great candidates for air drying. They really do dry quickly on a drying rack.
    I have air-dried for years without any type of performance issue. :thumb:

16. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

exactly. i think that air drying actually extends the life of the towels as the fibers are not exposed to such heat from the dryer.

17. GS4_Fiend

GS4_Fiend Virgin Detailer

The MF absorbs water like crazy... I set the dryer on HIGH and requires 2 times to get the MF to dry.

18. PlatinumMKV

PlatinumMKV Virgin Detailer

Whats the blend on the PakShak towels? Could'nt find it on their website...

19. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

70/30 blend