Question regarding SMAT polishes and water spritzing ...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by GDAL, Sep 25, 2012.

1. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I've been using the D300/M101 mix for the last couple of details with great results. I had a chance to talk to Kevin Brown over the phone and he strongly that spritzing water extends the buffing cycle and reduces compound usage.

During what part of the compounding process are you guys performing the water spritzing? I have heard after a few passes, but I have also been told at the end of the buffing cycle.

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Adding water increases the abrasive abilities but at the same time reduces lubrication by displacing some of the lubricating oils. Very similar result are obtained when your wet-sanding; the more surface water the less the abrasive the finishing paper becomes.

Separation of oil and water is caused by a tension in the surface between dissimilar liquids. As water (or a water - oil emulsion) for all intents and purposes is incompressible, so that the pad and the abrasive don’t have actual surface contact, due to the pad hydroplaning.

When this condition is encountered a layer of water builds up between the surface and the abrasive, thereby negatively impacting the abrasive abilities of the polishing process, unless this water is displaced from the surface and the pad via centrifugal force, because the pad cannot in effect "squeegee" the water from the surface.

Notes

7. Re-wetting (Meguiar’s® Final Inspection, diluted 1:1 distilled water) the abrasive residue will re-activate the product and provide extended work time. Do not overuse; as it will cause the pad / polish to aquaplane; negating the abrasives ability? Final Inspection doesn’t contain any wax, silicones or other ingredients that will negatively affect surface adhesion

8. Do NOT spritz the pad when using a random orbital as it. Will cause the foam to aquaplane

See also post by Kevin Brown-http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum...08-micro-fiber-pads-backing-plates-what-2.htm

3. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

With the MF pads, most of the product will sit in the pad after a pass, and as it's non-deminishing abrasive, these will still be able to correct if they're "released" again, spraying a bit of water on the surface will do this, so after the pad is properly "primed", just add a few very small pea sized drops of compound for every section, spray a light mist of water on the surface and there you go.

I tend to use demineralized water, as it doesn't leave anything behind when it evaporates.

Kind regards,

Ebbe