Question about bringing back a faded yellow Mazda.

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by m4gician, Mar 13, 2008.

1. m4gician

m4gician Birth of a Detailer

Hey guys,

Not too long ago I did a Mazda P5 using xmt 360. Well I see the car again after a while and there is swirling and the yellow is clearly faded and not as bright as it should be.

I am looking for a pad + product combo to use to bring this colour back and make it shine? A lot rides on this jobs so I'd appreciate an opinion.

Here is my thought:
    With my new flex ---

Menz SIP - Orange lc
    Menz 106ff - white lc
    Klasse AIO - UDM
    EX-P sealant

Will this be good enough? Is there a way I can skip 106ff since this is a gloss or non-metalic paint? How should I tackle this?

2. richy

richy Guest

That sounds good..and as you have no doubt already found out, have a game plan...but also have a plan "b"..a plan "c" and so on..trial and error in other words.

3. eShine

eShine Guest

I would try skipping the SIP and see if the 106ff does the trick first.

4. jshillin

jshillin Birth of a Detailer

Are you working on SS paint???

5. mixxer

mixxer Birth of a Detailer

i would start with 106 with the orange pad and it might allow you to skip the SIP.

6. m4gician

No, there's a clearcoat... I'll just go 106ff and orange :D What speed with the flex?

7. mixxer

mixxer Birth of a Detailer

i like to do 4 for first pass then 6 til it flashes.

8. Rubbish Boy

Rubbish Boy DB Certified Dealer

Without wishing to sound negative, speaking as an owner of a yellow, clearcoated car, be prepared for not getting the best out of it. The problem with mine is that I have some panels that have faded differently to others and it looks different colours (although I do have a couple of areas that were resprayed and the colour is off too).

In my case it is the pigment in the colour coat that has faded, so no amount of polishing will bring it back, remember when polishing it's only the clear coat you're polishing and that's potentially not the bit thats faded and lost its colour.

9. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I would try 106FF on white first, if that does't work switch to the orange pad and if that still doesn't work, try SIP on orange.

Do you have anything else instead of EX-P you can try? Not the best of sealants...

10. m4gician

Klasse SG,
    DP Liquid Paint Sealant (green),

and the rest is paste wax....some of the ones I might want to try...
    Nattys Red?
    XMT180?
    Megs 16?
    DP Max Wax?

11. NCZ13

NCZ13 Birth of a Detailer

hey i know im new here, but im not new to mazdas.

the vivid yellow color is a single stage paint job. the clear is mixed in with the paint. the vivid yellow p5 and msp are notorious for clearcoat failure on the non metal body panels, and paint failure on the metal ones. for some reason the fiberglass panels were cleared, but for some reason the clear flakes off over time.

your best bet is to have the car repainted, or recleared.

12. m4gician

So detailing it with a softer "single stage" friendly polish is not recommended?

13. NCZ13

NCZ13 Birth of a Detailer

thats actually what i reccomend, is using a lighter cut polish.

if nxt removes the paint, you wont be needing a really aggressive polish

14. m4gician

I was thinking ssr1, 106ff or optimum on a white.