QD Before and After Wax

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Magnum, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Magnum

Magnum Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hi Guys,

This issue has troubled me for a while:

Issue 1 - QD before wax

After paint correction, the most convenient thing to do to get rid of excess polish residue is to do a QD wipedown (something cheap like Last Touch) and then apply wax straight over the top.

Is this likely to create any bonding issues?

Is the clarity of my paint going to be compromised?

Should I maybe switch to using something like ONR?

Should I maybe avoid QDs all together and stick to doing time consuming paint cleansing - something like LPL?

Issue 2 - QD after wax

After applying an LSP like NXT which dusts a little, I get out something like Megs UQD or similar and go over the car immediately after wax application so that the finish is completely clear of wax residue.

Am I stripping any uncured wax?

Is this good practice?

Issue 3 - QD before glaze

Similar to issue 1 - is the QD applied before a glaze likely to interfere with the glaze's operation?

So if I was finishing paint correction, I might do a QD wipedown, then Megs #7 topped with Megs #26. Does this sound like a good process?

Thanks for your help guys.

2. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I use FK 425 either after wiping off sealant or spray as I buff off wax.

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Whenever I am about to dry the vehicle, I spray Last Touch all over, then dry. I enjoy the slickness of the paint, which makes it easier to apply sealant or waxes. I have not seen any degradation in longevity of waxes or sealants due to this.

4. Magnum

Magnum Any Rag Vehicle Washer

OK guys, I've been doing some research and it looks like a good cleaner QD with not too many glossifiers is perfect for the pre-wax and pre-glaze stage.

QDing after wax though is not a good idea because it interferes a lot with the curing process.

5. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

I'm sure each manufacture has there own formula to what goes into it, so what is a glossifier? Be nice to know what really goes into them. First i heard about detail spray interfering with the curing process, thanks for the research.

6. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

but what if you qd with a nuba qd?