Protection for fabric convertible top

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by dantesguy, Jul 13, 2010.

1. dantesguy

dantesguy Virgin Detailer

Today I'm doing a wash & wax on my friends bmw 330ci and it just dawned on me that I forgot to buy the raggtopp kit for cleaning fabric tops :gasp:. So I was wondering are there any good OTC products I could use for protection?

2. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

Yes, any marine store such as Westmarine will carry 303 Fabric Guard which is an excellent fabric protectant. I used to use Raggtopp but Fabric Guard has better durability, is easier to use, and has better hydrophobic properties to keep the top waterproof and sealed. It also enhances the color of the soft top which is a bonus.

2 coats back to back will yield about 6 months of protection on a car which sits outside 24/7.

3. beabout

beabout Virgin Detailer

RaggTopp seems to work well for me, have had my 03 Cobra since 8/02 with fabric top, used nothing but RaggTopp stuff and top looks new. Course it was recommended by fabric supplier to Ford.

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I used 303 aerospace when I used to have a 'vert.

5. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

What about the Autoglym Hood Cleaning Kit? Comes with 1 bottle of Hood Cleaner and 1 bottle of Hood Protector. I've seen some people over on DW using this combo kit on their convertible details.