Protecting coated leather

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by StiCy, Jul 11, 2009.

1. StiCy

StiCy Birth of a Detailer

I have some questions about protecting coated leather. First off my car is an 07' Subaru Legacy and I guess the leather is coated. I understand that conditioner is not needed, but that I need to protect or "condition" that coating. What is the best product for this? I just cleaned the seats and door inserts with CG green clean diluted 1:16. They now have a nice matte look, but I think there is more I need to do to protect them. I have the following products:

1Z Cockpit Premium
    1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner
    Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer

Also would the same products work for vinyl or plastic, such as the door panels , steering wheel (perforated leather) and the center armrest? I am hoping to use what I already have, and I am leaning toward the 1z cockpit, but I could pick up something OTC if needed. Please let me know your thoughts.

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I use 1z Leather Care for my coated leather. I use it on my steering wheel, seats, shifter everything leather or leather like. It does not leave the surface slippery and leaves a very nice matte, natural, finish. I clean my seats with Zymol Leather Cleaner (yes the OTC stuff).

You can use 1z to clean the door panels, and what not. I would recommend Leather care for the steering wheel as that stuff has a little amount of nuba wax to help keep oils and grime away from the coated surface.

3. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

You want something that is water based and doesnt contain oil, waxes, or silicone.

4. StiCy

Could I get by with just 1Z Cockpit Premium in the mean time?

5. StiCy

Anything you had in mind?

6. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Leather Masters.

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

+1 for a water-based product (LM)

8. StiCy

So Z1 cockpit would not work? Is there anything I can pickup thats OTC? The reason is that I would like to get this done this weekend.

9. StiCy

What do I need to get the conditioner and the prodectant?

10. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Another vote for leather masters. Get both, Vital, and Protectant.

11. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

You wanna Protect your Leather...
    1)Window Tint
    2)Lexol or Hyde Food

12. StiCy

The leather is perforated in the middle sections, is that going to be a problem?

13. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Just more time consuming, after you apply and wipe off you will notice the conditioner stuck in some of the holes....I get a straight pin and poke though them. I've done so many of these it doesn't really take me that much longer......I'm a poking machine:shakehead:

14. StiCy

I hate to ask, but what are the alernatives to Leather Master? Its kind of expensive. I have read a lot of good things about them.

15. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

As I said before 1z Leather Care was made for coated leathers and works very well at protecting and keeping the leather looking nice and clean.

Another alternative would be Zaino z9 and z10 or Sonus leather products are all well reviewed.

16. StiCy

I read that the 1Z leather care has wax in it. That the only thing that scares me.

17. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Honestly, if you protect the leather from the Sun you want need any kinda leather conditioner.

18. StiCy

The seats are kind of hard. I got the car used and it was a year old. I have no idea what the previous owner did to protect them. I just wanted to bring back the soft feel and also to protect them.

19. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Yes it has a little bit in it but will not harm leather in any way. It does not make the seats slippery or slick at all and I use it on my steering wheel.

If you want cheaper alternative that is close to LM I would go with Sonus or Zaino.

20. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Not tryin to sound like a Prick, but if there already hard nothing is gonna soften them back up.