protect "sueded microfiber" ?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Mr. Sparkle, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle DB Pro Supporter

been trying to expand my knowledge recently of alcantara, nubuck, etc. that seems to pop up more in higher end cars

Expecting to see a client's 2012 camaro ZL1 shortly. On the chevy webpage they describe "sueded microfiber". To be honest, I'm a bit confused as to what that actually means and how to handle it.

How should I go about protecting this? something like 303 fabric guard? or something like the leather masters nubuck protectant?

any info appreciated

from chevy website:

with its finely tuned suspension, sueded microfiber-accented instrument panel and available sueded microfiber wrap on the steering wheel and shifter,

The front seats incorporate sueded microfiber suede inserts with red accent stitching

2. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

I could give you a great answer to your question, But IDK if my answer is allowed to be posted.....

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

^^^ why even post what you did? I don't get it?

Just post what you got to say, if the mods don't like I am sure they will let you know

4. Kilo6_one

A buddy of mine used Autoglym Interior Shampoo/Cleaner, trick is not to spray or apply directly to the surface, but to a MF towel and then apply, ive noticed that spraying it directly to the surface soaks it up too fast, my STI I owned had Alcantara, i just used a damp MF towel with water...

as for protecting it, I never did........ its a fairly durable surface, but I didn't allow drinks or food in my car.

As a general rule when cleaning Nubuck, Alcantara ®, Ecsaine, etc you should only to use products specifically designed for this type of fabric. Avoid using a product designed for cleaning leather. It's also important to do a patch test before cleaning any fabric to make sure the colour or integrity of the fabric won't be damaged. To do this, apply your cleaning product to an area that doesn't show to see what the effect will be.
    Leather Master™ Nubuck Protection (N-Nubuck / Alcantara®) Repellence, resists soiling and helps protect against both water and oil based stains
    Identifying characteristics- very soft to the touch will scratch or scuff very easily; water drops will darken the leather but it returns to its original colour after drying.

(LM) Products made specifically for Nubuck (Alcantara®) leather
    • Cleaning Pad Cleans refreshes and revitalises Nubuck, brushed aniline and suede leather without the need for additional liquids or chemicals. At the same time it will restore the nap (surface appearance) of the leather to its' original look.
    • Foam Cleaner is a mild solvent product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains.
    • Always pre-test the product on a hidden area.
    • Protection helps to protect suede and Nubuck leather against stains from drinks and food; it also makes the leather easier to clean.

Alcantara® Cleaning / Care - http://tinyurl.com/yasrot5

5. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

Anyone happen to have any tips to de-nap Alcantra? My Mustang only has 65k miles on it, and I'm always gentle with it, but the Alcantra has started to get nappy right where my left cheek shifts, while pushing the clutch... Or am I just screwed?

6. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Used the Leather Masters foam cleaner on a new Boxster Spyder, the GT2 RS I take care of, the NSX type R replica Recaro seats I take care of, a new gen STI, and an Evo 9 I just completed recently- I LOVE IT. Gentle and effective.

I also have used the Leather Masters protector- really great results so far and I check in with the owner every now and then to get feedback- smelled at first but after 12 hours it disappeared.

From my experience I have been able to comb the alcantara out with a stiff brush- like a leather brush and it freed up the fibers.
    - Dan

7. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

Sueded microfiber is not made from animal skin. No need for any leather products. It is what most home furnishings are using as the cover fabric now. So treat like any other interior fabric. 303 Fabric guard would be a good choice as a stain repellent.

8. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

I find that a good brushing with a shoe polishing brush after a thorough vacuuming makes the sueded microfiber look new again by lifting up the matted down 'suede' fibers

9. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

10. Mr. Sparkle

Thank you. that seems completely reasonable

but then the article TOGWT linked me to above says to use the leather masters nubuck protector. which is conflicting information.

Protection

Leather Master™ Nubuck Eco Protector (N-Nubuck / Alcantara®) Nubuck /Suede Protectant are a water based product for highly sensitive leathers, it took several years to perfect, and was difficult to formulate due to the potential damage caused by water. It may be used on furniture, clothing, shoes, and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]accessories[/COLOR].

Eco-Protector provides an oil, water and alcohol barrier on Nubuck and suede. This unique formula is a step forward from the previous Leather Master Aerosol protectant. In fact, it has several advantages over all aerosol protectants - non-flammable and very safe for consumer use, [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]environmentally[/COLOR][/COLOR] safe, solvent free formula.

Application Instructions:
    • Use on new or cleaned Nubuck or suede only. If needed, pre-clean with Leather Master™ Foam Nubuck Cleaner.
    [/COLOR]

11. Kilo6_one

Are you more concerned about cleaning, or protection.......... or both?

I saw at target yesterday they do make products "micro fiber" safe, so its out there, no reason to get some boutique product IMO, alot of good suggestions posted.............

12. Mr. Sparkle

more concerned with protection for now being that this is a new car in question

leaning towards 303 fabric guard the more this is discussed