Protect alcantara leather

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by pirex, Mar 12, 2008.

1. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

What do you guys use to clean and protect alcantara?

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

3. Leather Care (Nubuck, Alcantara®, Suede, etc)
    Nubuck is top-grain cattle hide leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap of short protein fibres, producing a velvet-like surface.

Suede is not commonly found in vehicles, however, Nubuck or a synthetic known as Alcantara® is commonly found in sports luxury vehicles; on the steering wheel, armrests and seat inserts both for aesthetic purposes and grip (on the seats and steering wheel) and the headliner, it is highly absorbent, creating a texture similar to velvet, many people confuse this product with suede leather.

This cleaner is an aerosol version of Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner. The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent materials. Clean the surface with a Leather Master™ cleaning pad, or use the foam cleaner. The foam created by this aerosol has the consistency of shaving cream, making it ideal for sensitive leather. Do not allow to dry as it can leave spot marks. For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become ingrained such as in creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt.

For rally stubborn stains; clean the surface with 303™ Cleaner & Spot Remover (do not saturate) it removes oil, grease, ink, berry juice, wine and blood. It contains no soaps, detergents, phosphates, nitrates, caustics, toxic organics, enzymes or volatile organic chemicals (VOC)

Using a soft upholstery brush or a Rubber Suede Brush - Shoe Care Products | Replacement Shoe Laces - Shoe-String Laces Ltd, UK to raise the `nap' of the surface then apply cleaner by spraying onto a 100% cotton towel (do not saturate) allow to air dry. The surface of these leathers has no protective barrier, and as a result these leathers are very prone to soiling and staining. To protect unfinished leathers including deerskin and unfinished dyed leathers, use Leather Master™ Nubuck Protection

Methodology-
    •Shake well before use!
    •Spray a small amount of the product no more than 12 inches from the leather's surface.
    •Use a sponge to work the foam into the soiled area, as it acts as a cushion, preventing too much pressure.
    •Gently wipe away excess foam, and allow to dry for 30 minutes.
    •Repeat for extremely soiled areas.
    •Once the area is clean, apply a Nubuck Protectant to prevent future soiling

Leather Master™ Nubuck Protection (Nubuck, Alcantara®, Suede, etc)
    Use on new or newly cleaned leather, spray on (but do not saturate) and let dry, it creates and maintains water repellence, resists soiling and helps protect against both water and oil based stains

Identifying characteristics- very soft to the touch will scratch or scuff very easily; water drops will darken the leather but it returns to its original colour after drying.

Products made specifically for Nubuck leather (Leather Master's)

Cleaning Pad
    Cleans refreshes and revitalises Nubuck, brushed aniline and suede leather without the need for additional liquids or chemicals. At the same time it will restore the nap (surface appearance) of the leather to its' original look.

Foam Cleaner
    Cleaner is a solvent product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains. Always pre-test the product on a hidden area.

Protection
    Helps to protect suede and Nubuck leather against stains from drinks and food, it also makes the leather easier to clean.

3. HAN

HAN Birth of a Detailer

Does anyone know if alcantara can be treated with Scotch Guard or something similar? I recently swapped an 06 STi interior into my 05 WRX that I want to keep looking its best!

Thanks,

Pete

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

ScotchGaurd is a fabric protector, my advise is to buy a product made for leather (see post)

Leather Master™ Nubuck Protection (Nubuck, Alcantara®, Suede, etc)
    Helps to protect suede and Nubuck leather against stains from drinks and food, it also makes the leather easier to clean.

5. makos1610

makos1610 Two Bucket System Washer

My friend has an evo9 with leather seats ans suede inserts. He bought those seats from the car that was in a pretty bad accident and there are some blood stains on a suede parts. Hw to clean them without damaging the seats??

6. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Alcantara is not leather or suede it is a fabric imitation. Leather products will have little or no effect but 'scotchgard' would be a good protector for it. Do not use solvents to clean. It can be wet cleaned successfully.

7. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

so what do you suggest is way to clean it judy?

8. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Nuba

Swssvax have specific product called "alcantara" to clean it.

9. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

SV and RaceGlaze both have a alcantara cleaner that I have read works well. As Judy said alcantara is a fabric and not leather.

10. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

yes i have seen those cleaners but i was wondering what she used.

11. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator