Prospective Project Car - Midget

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by cptzippy, May 2, 2011.

1. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

There's a little MK IV MG Midget sitting for sale near me. If I could get the wife to approve and if I could get it for the right price I think it'd be a fun car to putter around in and with. It's got some rust showing. Without a repaint, what would you do with it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

largest spot:
    [​IMG]

2. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

If it's feasible then get it, great weekend car and it's quite simple even if you want to do a rebuild just make sure it's there not much wrong with it and RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

3. Jordon

Jordon Two Bucket System Washer

Oh I wish I had the link but there is this great place for turning seriously almost any car into an electric one on the cheap too! May be something to consider. :)

4. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

Before you buy it, have a closer look at the rust. On the surface the car might look fine, but have a look at the undercarriage. A decent paintjob can be hiding a mess of rust underneath. Take my Super Beetle, I just had it painted so the outside looks nice but underneath it's still the same very rusty car. And of course have a close look at the body, check and see if the paint is hiding some shady body work (some people seem to think that a gallon of body filler eqates to dent removal). I personally don't have any experience with MG's but I'd do a bit of research before I bought one, looking for common problems and seeing if there is anything you should watch out for in a potiental car.

All that being said, if I got that car I'd just clean it up and roll it. Do a bit of work on that paint and bring back a shine, clean up the engine and interior, replace all that's broken and have fun driving it :D You don't have to do a major restoration on a classic car to have fun with it. Once again, my '72 Super is pretty rusty underneath, but I just had a cheap paintjob done on it so it looks nice and I'm gonna drive it till the rust gets to the point where I need to do a restoration. I love every minute of driving and working on it, even though it is far from a show quality vehicle.

5. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Yep, always planned to have a good look at the frame and the common rust places. Also would take a magnet for the bondo thing. However, right after I posted this I found out tenants we have in a house from last duty station are moving out early so not time for any extra spending right now.