Promising Paint Thickness gage for $250 FE & NFE

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Deep Gloss Auto Salon, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Found this being discussed on another forum.

Paint Meter, Paint Gauge - HighLineMeter.com

On of the posters on the other forum called and asked some questions - please see below

So what do you think?

2. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

No comments - Are all the PTG peeps out polishing and all I have here is W&W'ers:p:

3. richy

richy Guest

This is one of the PTG'S I have looked at on ebay. For me, I want one that will do plastic surfaces b/c I have a PGII for the time being which will be fine on metal. That one does not look bad..you gonna go for it??

4. richy

richy Guest

5. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Octane Guy from show car detailing has the 2nd link you provided and says it's a POS......

Hmm I didn't even think about using the Pro gage II for metal and then a dedicated plastic gage.

How do you like your PGII?

6. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I have done a ton of research on the paint gauges and found that there are really two companies out there that are considered the better paint gauges. Those being DeFelsko and Elcometer. I have read mixed reviews on the Quantix as it is a lower tier gauge sort of inbetween the DeFelsko and the Elcometer and the ones you posted.

Thing about the ones you posted and I did a bunch of digging on them,is that they are coming from a company out of China. And if the guys on Ebay are selling them that cheap they are still making a nice profit so you can imagine what they are buying them from. Also keep in mind if you have any issues with it where the company is based out of. Now I'm not 100% sure about the first one you posted MotorCity but I know that's the case with the second. Nica and I were PMing a lot about the second when I first saw it on Ebay and we really struggled to find info on it.

Of the reviews I have seen on the lower models there are only a very very very few unlike the reviews you can find on DeFelsko and Elcometer. You can get a very good combo meter (does F and NF) from both companies for around $700 and in my opinion thats the way to go if you are going to get one.

You want to have confidence that your meter is giving you accurate readings and for me to have that confidence I need to know I'm dealing with a trusted and reputable manufacturer in the coating thickness industry. I recently purchased a DeFelsko DFT Combo meter from Phil at DD but had talked to a rep at Elcometer as well about theirs and he was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I would be confident going with either comapny, going with the ones you have posted .... well not so much.

7. richy

richy Guest

Great info there!! I will check into the elcometer and see if they have one that does plastic too..I am on a budget and can't spend a lot of $$ on one.

8. richy

richy Guest

I've only played with it a bit but I like it fine so far. Nica did some nice reviews including videos which helped a lot. When he got his he compared it to an electronic one he had and was getting the same readings..good enough for me!

9. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

10. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

How necessary is a PTG when doing paint correction? I myself use a flex and dont really worry about bruning the paint but I never really understood what makes using PTG worth it. When you get the reading and you see you dont have alot of paint to work with do you polish lighter or more carefully in that speceific area? Anyone care to help me out?

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Well a paint gauge will tell you how much you have to play with and if you have really low, low readings you may not be able to polish a vehicle even if it's with a Flex or a PC. Heck there was a member here that said he burnt through clearcoat using a PC and posted pictures of it as well...I "assumed" tha it would be imposible to burn through clear coat via PC but who knows.

Any who, a paint gauge will tell you if a vehicle has been repainted or perhaps someone else has had a go at the vehicle and cut to much clear coat. Regardless of what machine you use to polish your still removing a very small amount of clear coat and if there is only a very small amount to begin with well who's to say that when you have a go with the PC or Flex you wont go through it and burn it...well just my :2cents:

12. richy

richy Guest

Unless you're doing your own car and know what correction has been done to it, you're in the dark about how much clear has been previously ground away. I never had one until recently and there were a few jobs I was nervous about b/c I know the owner had it buffed out (by hacks) already. It's simply peace of mind, and maybe more..it'll save you starting something that could come back to haunt you later.

13. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Gottcha, thanks for the tip. Now im in another tight spot I just spent a ton on new products and now am looking into a PTG. Im gonna hold off for now but soon I will looking into getting one.