ProjectDetail Garage and Evo 9 Build!

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by BrendanS, May 22, 2013.

1. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

Hey guys,

Haven't been posting as much, but have been really busy with the garage and detailing! Just wanted to share my build and a bit of my background! I started detailing five years ago when I was 15. Before I could even drive! This passion all started after my mom purchased her new at the time car (2007 Infiniti G35S). I decided to pick up a new jug of car soap instead of the crappy turtle wax soap we had. After that I started to venture into different products (clay bars, waxes, the VAST array of microfiber towels, etc...). I started trying new products on family cars and had a friend tell his uncle about me. He ended up bringing his cars over and I documented the details and posted on a local forum, from there it blew up and turned into a great side business while I was still in highschool! I've carried this side business on and it is still growing.

The main purpose of this garage is to make details more enjoyable and to have a great place to have friends over when working on the car! Hopefully you've read enough about my short story, now on to the pictures!

The car that started my passion for detailing
    [​IMG]

One of the first cars that I got to detail, not too shabby!
    [​IMG]

The "blank" or rather cluttered canvas I got to start with. Far from bad, but far from good as well.
    [​IMG]

Outside picture of the garage, standard looking garage in Vancouver. Wish I could say these were all mine. This was the first day I brought back the Evo. Had 7591 miles on it at the time!
    [​IMG]
    Picture of it a year or two later, went through various wheel setups. I'm sure I'll be changing the current set in the near future too haha.
    [​IMG]
    First set of wheels, cheap XXRs that did the job. They're 18x10 +25 XXR 521s for those that are wondering. On a set of 245/35/18s.
    [​IMG]
    Second set of wheels that I ran for a little while (18x10 +38 RPF1s with 265s)
    [​IMG]
    Third set of wheels (18x10 +30 Rota SVN-R in Titanium Chrome with 245s)
    [​IMG]
    Fourth set of wheels, picture of my car and a good friend's STi before he sold it. Wheels are 18x10 +36 WedsSport SA55M with 275/35/18 Dunlop Direzza Starspecs. Facebook ruined the two pictures, but I'm too lazy to grab the actual image. But second photo is my ricer crew, APL Motorsports!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back to the garage that houses the evo! I had some holes in the drywall to cut out and patch. Didn't do the best job...well far...very FAR from the best job at mudding. But it's better than nothing!
    [​IMG]

Went out to Lowes one night with a friend and wanted to check out the VCT tiles. Turned out they had them for $.21/sqft vs $.85 regular. Bought 18 boxes (810 tiles), and when I brought it to the checkout, the cashier made an error and rang it up at $.08/sqft. That made my day! In total, I paid about $65 for 810sqft of VCT tiling, one of the best deals I've ever gotten.
    [​IMG]

Lots of clutter that needed to either be thrown out or moved
    [​IMG]

RudolphWek likes this.
  2. BrendanS

First coat of paint down, went for a grey bottom, white upper, and green stripe. Decided on green because it matches my detailing logo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clutter downsized to this, getting ready to prep the floors to lay the VCT tiles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a good friend come over and give me a hand with putting up some fluroscents.
    [​IMG]

Some more friends that came by to hangout as we put up the lights
    [​IMG]

Let there be light!
    [​IMG]

Glue that went down, ended up being terrible glue. Tiles didn't stick well. Bought the glue from Lowes, was possibly a bad batch. Picked up a different tub from HomeDepot instead and...well it was sticky...what glue should be.
    [​IMG]

Laying down the VCT tiles, some of the tiles were a different shade. Very odd considering they were from the same box. Can't complain for $.08 though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished!
    [​IMG]

Trim going on
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Garage lights up the alley better than the street lamps
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sealing the floors with ZEP Floor Sealant
    [​IMG]

First time I got to park the boost buggy in there. Was one of the most satisfying experiences
    [​IMG]

Still need to buy some better cabinets and hang some shelves up. But the garage has been awesome to work in. Much brighter and cleaner. Just makes working on cars or detailing an overall more enjoyable experience! Couple of pictures from recent details in the new garage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all I have for now. Hope you guys have enjoyed reading my build. Always motivating to see the other build threads on here. Future plans include insulating and sealing the garage doors. Hanging some speakers, and of course some better storage! Any ideas or critiques you guys have are all welcome! Thanks for reading!

-Brendan

3. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Welcome back Brendan, that's quite the accomplishment. Garage, Evo and having a legit business.

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Thats some hot shit there!!! Good work and good luck!

5. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

6. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

Brendan, that's a nice garage. I really like the white/grey/green wall color.
    How many watt are those fluroscent?

7. BrendanS

Thanks! Detailing works perfectly with my school schedule. Picks up in the spring/summer when school is slower, and dies down during the winter and fall when I need to focus.
    Thanks!
    :thumb:thanks!
    Thanks! They're 32watt each with two 4100k fluorescents in. Ended up going down to the Bellingham HomeDepot as they're better quality then the local Canadian ones we have. Better ballast.

Lithonia Lighting 2-Light Electronic Channel Fluorescent Strip Light-C 2 32 120 GESB at The Home Depot

8. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Nice setup on the garage. Always nice to have a clean un cluttered place to work.

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looks awesome Brendan. Give me a call when you have a minute.

10. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

You did a great job on your garage Brendan and I must say i'm impressed. Nice to see you back here.

11. BrendanS

I'll give ya a shout tomorrow. Sorry didn't get a chance to check the thread till now. Putting a new clutch in the evo :doh:
    For sure! Makes details a lot more enjoyable.
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Great to see some familiar faces still here!

12. Tweaked

Tweaked Two Bucket System Washer

Awesome job dude!

13. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

So wicked, great work! I have that same trim in my garage and it's (for me at least) garbage. It gets so hot in Texas that the glue starts melting, causing the trim to start drooping or falling off the wall. I will be replacing it with regular wood trim soon.

14. 9evolution

9evolution Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Great garage colors. Another Evo9 owner here. I was never into detailing until I got the Evo and started following Phil's work @ DetailersDomain on evom. From asking him questions and randomly stopping by his shop for product and tips. I have become consistent in getting desired results. A lot of people now ask me how I get my cars looking so good and if I'm interested in doing their cars/trucks and bikes. However I don't have a garage (least for now, looking at a house with a three car garage) I wont take on a side job until then. I hope to someday have a garage for the evo and a place to detail on the side to support the addiction of modding my evo. Congrats and GL

15. BrendanS

Thanks!
    Yeah the glue on this trim isn't the best. It's pretty average temperature and it's already coming apart. I'll see what other options I have.
    Nice! Wish DD was local so I could stop by their shop.

16. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

welcome back Brendan! great job on garage, and awesome car you have.

17. 9evolution

9evolution Any Rag Vehicle Washer

You on evom?

18. B.Prug87

B.Prug87 DB Forum Supporter

That's a really nice set up you have. Is that a garage that you purchased or is it part of your house?If separate do you own all 3 bays?

19. BrendanS

thanks!
    yessir, under the same username:
    evolutionm.net - View Profile: BrendanS
    Thanks! It's all part of the house

20. SkylineRacer13

SkylineRacer13 Two Bucket System Washer

Congrats the garage & EVO look awesome, best of luck in the future