Profesional

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by JohnyB, Jul 21, 2009.

1. JohnyB

JohnyB Birth of a Detailer

What is your definition of being a "Profesional" detailer? I see alot of people calling themselfs master detailers, is there some super detail school that i dont know about that offers some sort of degree? All coments welcome.:shrug:

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I consider a "Professional" detailer someone who does detailing for a living. Now this does not mean that they are any good but that this is there day to day job and what puts money on the table. I would also include part-time detailers in this as well. As with anything just because you are a pro does not mean you are really that good. Like anything there are sub groups of "uber" detailer and then your normal detailer.

3. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Couldn't have said it better Myself^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:applause2:

4. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

Old Detailer.............:headbang:

5. Nica

Nica Banned

I would have to agree with what agpatel said, there is no regulation when it comes to detailing. It's not like a trade school where you go to school and receive your certificate, just about anyone can say they are a professional, master, ellite....ect..ect..ect.

I personally don't get hung up on tittles, you cant put a tittle to experience, no one can take it way from you or dispute it. Having a diploma, degree, Phd..ect..ect..are just tittles, they only help you get through the first door once your in tittles are meaning less...but tittles do serve a purpose :shrug:

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Experience like everything is only as good as your results are, you can be a 20+ year detailing vet but you may have horrible techniques and procedures. If I went into the detailing business all of a sudden I could say been detailing for 5 years, but you can put another detailer that has been at it for 2 years or 30 year and I could be better or worse than them. So I think titles have some purpose, experience has some purpose, but results is were most of it lies, as with alot of things.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

:nod: yup, I would agree with you agpatel :thumb:

It's one thing to to do lots of talking, it's another to produce results ;)

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

You have to learn to spell "titles" I kept reading and re-reading this because I thought it said, well, you know! LOL and yes I DO get hung up on them!!

9. Nica

Nica Banned

lol..yea sorry I'm typing way to fast for my own good...I need to get caught up though...so many threads to go through :computer: :computer:

10. JohnyB

JohnyB Birth of a Detailer

(It's one thing to do lots of talking, it's another to produce results) i like that.

11. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I've got an MBA: Major Buffer Action

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Detailing combines chemicals, equipment as well as a knowledge of vehicle surfaces, ‘Chemicals’, refers to the cleaning and protection products used, ‘Equipment’, refers to the tools used, for example, random orbital polishers, high-speed rotary polishers, extractors and power washers, to name a few. ‘Vehicle Surfaces’, requires a basic understanding of chemistry and how to rejuvenate and protect each of the many and varied material surfaces, regardless of its specific surface composition making objectives observations based upon the results obtained, and adjusting the techniques used as necessary

Detailing also takes willingness to experiment, which usually means deviating from the product manufacturer’s directions, making objectives observations based upon the results obtained, and adjusting the techniques and products used as necessary, always keeping an open mind on manufacturer’s claims for their products.

13. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

you are considered a professional once you reach the Jedi Nuba stage. until then you will always remain a noob ;)

14. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

15. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

16. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

I think a person branded as a "Professional Detailer" is one can bring out the best from the car's finish. Who can repair all paint damage, all interior damage and make the car like new again. Like a barber, a detailer can change the appearance of a car with the request from the car owner. I think thats it but it sounds weird I know.. I'm a little high right now but I really wanted to post about it. Its making me think about what we are, how we got here and how we brand ourselves.

17. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I like your comparison to a barber, or stylist.

18. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

Same here. By definition if you do something for a living that is your profession.

19. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

I've seen some of his work, first off, he's one UGLY dude.. Second, I don't know if its just me but I think he's a little sloppy, sure the end result looks good.. But if I saw someone doing that too my car I'd be like "get the f*** away from my car"... I don't its like getting a guy to cook you dinner as you watch him through like snakes, concrete, engine oil and some spaghetti into a pot then end up serving you some really nice lasagna.

I don't know, maybe its just me.. I'd prefer Paul Dalton over that dude.

20. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

Don't know that I agree 100%?? Could also be labeled as a trade or craft. I'm going to have to go with professional being someone who possesses extensive knowledge and ability.

Of course, I like Beavis and Butthead!!

Andy