Product selection for first timer

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Runge, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Runge

Runge New Member

Looking to finally fix up my dads car (hasn't been washed in years, never paint corrected, needs some love),

Have access to RO so no problem there.

Looking at starting off with Sonax Profiline Fine Abrasive 5/4 with Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad then after cleaning it all up with Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 on Lake Country White Polishing Pad.

or safer to just go with single Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 step? or combo of 4/6 to start and finish it off with 3/6?

I should be pretty safe with this combo?

2. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

What kind of car is it? What color? How severe is it damaged? I hope you are planning on claying it at least if not using some iron removal product as well. And using a strong mix to clean it like some apc with chemical guys citrus red or something along those lines. But provide some more info so we can better assist you.

3. Runge

Runge New Member

guess I left out those regular details. its a 04 Volvo - Metalic black colour. Damange is the normal swirl marks, with couple heavy scratched clearcoat areas. (someone took the green side of a sponge to try to remove tree sap in 3 spots).

normal pre-prep
    0.5 - wheels/rims/etc
    1 - presure wash/rinse off paint
    2 - AF Avalanche - foam cannon - leave on for 4-5min then rinse
    3 - any heavy left over dirt, Adams APC - handle tackle thouse lightly - spray off
    4 - Adams Car wash - foam cannon - washed with dual bucket system as normal - spray off
    5 - any bug/tar - take off with AF Oblitarate or 1Z bug/tar remover
    6 - AF Iron Out - leave, rinse off
    7 - AF Iron Out - Round 2 - leave, rinse off (possibly dependig how bad it is)
    8 - Clay car
    7 - rinse off everything
    8 - hand dry/blow dry

9 - then polish

4. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

I would go with PF 4/6 if that doesn't have enough cut I would 2 step it the first time with something like fg400 or m105. You always want to run a test spot with the least aggressive combo first then progress. If doing PF and one of the others mentioned is too much everyone seems to have good results with m105/205 combo as well. So test spot on one of the affected areas with m205 or PF whichever you go with, with a light cutting pad to see if that cuts it if not move down the line.

5. Runge

Runge New Member

thanks think I will go that route with the 4/6.