Product Review: Rubbish Boy's Original Edition

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by krshultz, Jul 18, 2008.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Product Name: Rubbish Boy's Original Edition

Price: 39.99GBP. The price in your currency varies according to the exchange rate. Google can tell you. For instance, type "Convert 39.99GBP to USD" to convert from pounds to dollars.

Size: 250 ml

Amount used during application: A fair amount when I first got started applying with my bare hands. Once I started using a microfiber applicator pad heated up with a hair dryer, this started to get better

Dilution ratios: N/A

Container appearance: Glass container with a screw-on lid.

Directions or Application process: This is a very hard wax. The directions suggest scraping some off the top with a teaspoon to activate it and soften it up. You can use an applicator pad or the palms of your hands. To use an applicator pad, a great technique JL posted involves heating up the pad with a hair dryer. For the bareback approach, scrape some off the top with a teaspoon, and put that in the palm of your hand. Move it around until it softens up, then rub your hands together. then, you sort of fondle your car.

The pot suggests waiting at least 20 minutes for the wax to cure, which I did. If you get too thick a coat on, some detail spray works wonders for getting it off.

Ease of use: It's a bit more work than, say, zymol Carbon, but your patience will be rewarded. It looks absolutely astonishing.

Smell / Scent: Smells very orangy.

Consistency: Very hard. Almost grainy until you've really got the wax "started" with some warmth.

Cleaning Ability: Not applicable

Lubricity: Not applicable

Suds: Not applicable

PH: Not applicable

Appearance: Mostly I'll let the photos speak for themselves. This stuff has a warmth and a glow to it that's unlike anything I've ever seen. Metallic paint looks three dimensional - when you walk by the car, maintaining the focus of your eyes, the metallic almost "moves." For any of you who fish, my 2004 Honda S2000 almost looks like a bass boat.

Looks decidedly better than the Rubbish Boy's "Juiced Edition" in my opinion.

Durability: Beading lasts an impressively long time for a carnauba in the heat of the North Carolina summer. The magical glow and depth I'd say sticks around for a month. Which is really no different than the zymol Carbon I've used for years.

Pros: Easy application and removal once you get the hang of it. Looks stunning. People who aren't even detailing geeks will comment on how amazing your paint looks. Ben, the creator of Rubbish Boy's. can ship the stuff to you from England in an amazingly short amount of time - well less than a week. I'm sure Swissvax Divine and zymol Vintage are very good waxes, but this stuff looks amazing for not nearly that amount of money.

Cons: Expensive, mostly because of the dollar to pound exchange rate. No US distributor (yet), though I suspect (and hope) that's changing.

Overall Comments: I'm off zymol Carbon forever now. See the pr0n below - hopefully Photobucket won't cap my bandwidth on this.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best): One Million. I really am blown away.

Pictures!!

Front Fender:
    [​IMG]

Trunk Lid:
    [​IMG]

Reflections in a front fender:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side front fender, again:
    [​IMG]

Hood:
    [​IMG]

Beading shots of ice cold water I poured on the hood mere moments before taking the pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying to get an "action shot" of the cold water pouring off the hood of the car...car was parked on an incline, nose up, and the water really just fell right off it:
    [​IMG]

I did not use a "star pattern" filter on this photo. The car actually shines like this:
    [​IMG]

More metal flake leaping off the car:
    [​IMG]

Directions for how to apply, straight off the label:
    [​IMG]

And a parting shot:
    [​IMG]

2. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

GREAT review :D I love the wax to. Did a Mazda 6 in silver, same nice flakes there.

3. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Man you do some of the best reviews I have seen on here. If I were not an avid user of this wax already I would definately buy some. I have said it here a ton of times just how astonishing RB OE will make your paint and its good to see others share that same view. This is one of the few products you will ever use that completely lives up to its expectations in fact it exceeds them. Again a great review and the car looks incredible!

4. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Honda S2000 prOn FTW!!! LOL

Solid review man!!!

5. IanB

IanB Two Bucket System Washer

I think it is best to look from about 12-15 ft to understand the 'glow' of nuba. Because that is the distance I can see the most difference between sealants and nuba. And sorry to say, I like the look of sealants, but prefer the 'skill' of applying a nuba.

Rubbish boys might be the case for a great 'hard' wax that has a slick and sealant like look with the popping flake of a sealant as well. Because man, that is the best I have ever seen a silver s2k look. Big :applause2:.

IB

6. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Gawd, this review is making me rethink my upcoming Supernatural purchase.

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Very nice review!

Any chance of beading shots? Would love to see them!

8. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Thanks for the kind words Ian. Ask and ye shall receive.

Apologies gang - I'm pretty new to the whole Digital SLR Photography thing, so my skills aren't great (I have none). The hilly driveway isn't helping me much, nor is my lack of Adobe Photoshop CS2 expertise (I have none of those either).

Head-on:
    [​IMG]

Front three quarter view, from slightly uphill:
    [​IMG]

Back side:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side profile, unfortunately, way underexposed:
    [​IMG]

Rear three quarter view, from slightly downhill:
    [​IMG]

Another rear three quarter view, different exposure, slightly different angle:
    [​IMG]

Me trying, unsuccessfully, to be stylish:
    [​IMG]

Again:
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

I used to have grand plans to try stuff like Glasur, or something from Swissvax...but at the moment, it seems completely unnecessary.

--Karl in NC

9. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

See images six through ten in the original post. Those are pictures of a bottle of water I pulled out of the fridge and poured directly onto the hood of the car. If you look carefully at them, you can tell (especially in the last one) that the water is actually running off the hood when the exposure was taken. The driveway is pretty hilly, so that surface is pretty much parallel to the horizon. So the water doesn't have the help of gravity to run off well, even though it still does a bit.

That water was straight out of the fridge too, so that may affect the beading. I'm not sure.

I kind of don't want to get the car dirty at the moment, LOL...

10. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Great review! Pretty nice depth, especially for that color. Paint looks dripping wet.

11. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Beading: Room-temperature water, sprayed onto the finish with a spray bottle repeatedly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To give you a sense of scale:
    [​IMG]

12. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

That's some tight beading.

13. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

Wow now I really want this wax. Those results are just jaw dropping. I might have to add on to my supernatural sample order on the GB. Thanks for the review it really swayed my vote, I might have to put off the Swissvax/Zymol purchase a little longer.

14. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Great review. Awesome Results. Beautiful car. Impressive shots.

I've got this (JL's recommendation) and its an awesome wax. The application is "different" but the end result is nothing less than spectacular!!!

Great detail!!

15. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Wow, guess I'll have to get a pot myself, haha. And I thought I would be satisfied with a Straight 8 kit. :whistle:

16. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Dang, you must made me hold off on my P21S 100% purchase for this now. Great review man!

17. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

Great review cant wait to get my hands on some

18. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

looks great!

19. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Thanks guys. Even the people at the autocross today thought it looked great - and these are guys who quite often drive some pretty ratty looking cars.

I can provide further fuel for the fire and state with certainty that RBOE offers outstanding finish protection. The autocross course layout today was needlessly complicated, and all of us - myself included - struck down a LOT of pylons. With a couple exceptions (which I was able to correct with some Menzerna IP and my Porter Cable), the cone marks lifted right off the paint. with some QD and a microfiber.

20. MuttGrunt

MuttGrunt Birth of a Detailer

awesome work and great review! i can't believe silver can shine like that:worship2: