Product Review: RBOE, Foam Finger, DoDo Red Mist

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by musc, Jan 31, 2009.

1. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

Decided to try some of my new items out today. I just did one panel with RBOE after prepping and polishing it with SIP/PO85RD. I wasn't planning on doing the whole vehicle until Spring, but I didn't want to wait that long to try out some RBOE!

First up is the RBOE and Foam Finger applicator.

Now there have been some great posts on different techniques to applying RBOE which probably saved me some headaches (JLs Detalings post comes to mind)! RBOE has a great smell, which I like when I am waxing. The biggest difference is noticed is that the RBOE is more grainy as opposed to a commercial wax. I used the Foam Finger applicator from Rubbish Boy and I have to say I love this thing! It worked great just using my index and middle finger. Fits snug and still offers a nice surface area. I heated it up in front of my Halogen light for about 1 minute then rubbed the tip around in the RBOE pot to get the oils flowing. The heat is key and really makes it easy to get the wax on the applicator. I found with the foam finger, there was no need to scrape some of the wax off the top into the lid. The heat and the design of the foam finger made it easy to swirl around in the pot to coat the applicator with wax. I laid it on thin as everyone has stressed. I let it sit for about 30 minutes. It buffed off easy.

I was truly impressed! Very deep warm glow. Reminds me of some other waxes with high % of carnauba I have used. I would venture to say that I liked the look even better than SV Smaragd, though I have only used SV on top of JS109. I haven't tested any sheeting, but I can say I am definitely looking forward to doing the whole vehicle! This may end up being my favorite wax so far, and I have tried a bunch!

I think the Foam finger is a perfect companion to the RBOE. I can see it coming in very handy as you start to get deeper in the pot. The finger it makes it very easy to get the wax out. Heating it up is key. Overall I didn't find the RBOE hard to use at all. It's a different technique, but certainly doesn't make it difficult. I will definitely be ordering some more more of the Foam Fingers soon.

I also tried out the New DoDo Red Mist QD. I used it on the RBOE panel a few hours later as well on a few other panels. Now the smell isnt as bad as I first thought. Smelling it directly from the bottle it does have a solvent like smell, but when you are spraying, it isnt overbearing. There is a fruity hint to it, but its certainly not as good smelling as the FK425 I am used to using. The sprayer that comes with the bottle is really cool. I haven't used a spray head like it before. It sprays out in a very very fine mist, so you don't really use that much product. It buffs off quite easy as well. Looking at it when buffing off, it reminds me a lot more of a spray sealant than a QD. It definitely adds a noticeable shine and glow, a lot more than FK425. It leaves the surface feeling slick and smooth when rubbing it with a MF towel. I really like it and definitely think it adds to the finish. I want to try out the beading soon. It was already dark outside, so I cant test yet. I don't think I have tried a DoDo product that haven't liked. They really have some good products.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. Can say that I am very happy with these three products!! I got all these from Ben at Rubbish Boy's Carnauba Wax Shop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

Great review. I have my pot of RBOE sitting in front of me on my desk right now actually. I have yet to really put it to work though, but after reading this I should really get on it.

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Thanks for the review!

4. TheJag

TheJag Birth of a Detailer

Lucky! we dont get Red Mist in the states for another several weeks! im one of the first people in line to get it from Dodo Juice USA though! hehehe

5. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great review there. I just got one of those finger applicators from Ben the other day and need to give your method a try. I really like heating it up in front of the halogens too. You really can't beat the look of RBs OE.

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Great review. Thanks for sharing.

7. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Nice Review! One question though, for clarification:

You are referring to heating the applicator in front of the halogens, right? Or are you heating the pot of wax?

8. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Thank You for taking the time to write this review. It's always nice to learn more about new and not so new products...:thumb:

9. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Heat the applicator not the wax.

10. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Nice review I am going to try your method as I have foam fingers also.

11. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Thanks!

That's where I was going. I had never heard of trying to heat the wax itself before. I need to get some of those finger pockets, as I think I use too much product when I apply RBOE by hand.

12. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Great review, im gonna have to try the QD soon!

13. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

nice review..still say fk 425 is the most over hyped qd on the market..only for antiu static properties and i prefer cg anti static qd b/c it adds something to the paint.. fk 425 adds nothing.. i was dissapointed in it and when i did half the car with cg and the other half with fk 425 i didn't notice a difference other than the cg side had a nice gloss.. like if fk was at a gloss factor of 90 the cg side was at 100 and the fk side didn't have less dust..and fk 425 costs more.. dammit i feel like i need another test..i don't see why so many love that product.adam's, optimum, zymol field glaze, SV quick finish and sv nano express are all far superior in my eyes.

14. Thanks for the review musc. I plan on buying some of this stuff in the future.

15. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

Thanks guys.

As a few others clarified for me, I heat the foam applicator in front of the halogen. Then you just take the applicator and immediately swirl it around in the pot of wax. The heat really gets the oils flowing and makes it easy to coat the applicator with wax. Otherwise the wax is too hard. Have to credit JLs Detailing with the heat idea! My girlfriend wouldn't let me use her hairdryer so I figured the Halogen would work great as a heat source!

I am in the United States as well! I ordered mine from Ben at Rubbish Boy's Carnauba Wax Shop He is one of our Detailing Bliss Certified Dealers. He ships to the United States as well. I pre ordered my Red Mist and it was actually shipped out the first day it was available on the 16th! Maybe I am the first in the USA with Red Mist? lol.

Check it out.

Dodo Juice Red Mist 500ml

16. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Great review. I just used OE on my car yesterday but by hand. Definitely a different wax to work with but well worth the outcome :)

17. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

of course dodo makes great products it's stoners at work.. i mean who has designs and names like they do if they aren't cheeching some chocolope in the dam once a month.

18. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

OE is great!

19. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Thnaks for sharing. I gotta get me some RBOE this year.

20. ScottieB

ScottieB Jedi Nuba

I got my RBOE, but don't have a car worthy at the moment.