Product Review: Optimum Instant Detailer

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by krshultz, Jan 28, 2009.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Product Name: Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer

Price: $19.95, less 10% discount through Justin at Obsessivedetail.com

Size: 32 oz. (946 ml). Also available in 16 oz. ready to use, and 1 gallon sizes

Amount used during application: Same as you would expect for any quick detailer

Dilution ratios: 1 part concentrate to three parts distilled water. Note: after I mde my purchase, Justin suggested that I use distilled water, rather than regular tap water, so I did

Container appearance: Plastic bottle with threaded plastic cap

Label text:
    (Left Panel)
    - Provides unsurpassed slickness & gloss in one simple application
    - Can be used on wet or dry surfaces
    - Can be used to clean light dust and dirt
    - Contains no petroleum distillates
    - Environmentally Friendly

Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer concentrate provides unsurpassed slickness & gloss in one simple application. Simply spray & wipe all automotive surfaces as the final step in your detailing process.

The flouropolymers in the Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer provide the maximum slickness, gloss, and protection for all automotive surfaces as well as dust and dirt repellency.

(Center Panel)
    Accelerate Into the Future

Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer Concentrate

CAUTION: Eye Irritant
    32 oz. (946ml)

(Right Panel)
    DIRECTIONS
    Dilute 1 part concentrate to 3 parts water. Just spray on all automotive surfaces and wipe off with Optimum Microfiber Towel. Use it on clean or slightly dirty surfaces. It can be used on wet or dry surfaces.

CAUTION
    In case of eye contact, rinse thoroughly with cold water for at least 15 minutes

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Keep from freezing or temperatures above 120F.

Manufacturer's liability is limited to refund of purchase price upon return of unused portion and proof of purchase.

(End of label text)

Directions or Application process: Just like any QD, spray some onto a panel, spread and wipe dry with a clean microfiber. I have a florescent flood lamp in the ceiling of the garage, and quite often, it's my "tell tale" light for revealing any haze, with the rest of the garage dark. I've found that very little "haze" remains after the initial wipe down, but if I catch it in this light, I can see some. A second pass with a clean, dry microfiber gets rid of this completely. Very easily remedied by simply using two towels - a "wet" one for application, and a dry one for removal. Which is something I've been doing with QDs lately anyway.

Ease of use: It's brain-dead easy to use, as a quick detailer should be. Some folks may not want the hassle of having to mix their own QD - but OID is very cost effective this way. A $20 bottle will make a gallon of OID!

Smell / Scent: I'm never any good at this. Smells fruity - maybe a bubble gum scent. It's a nice smell.

Consistency: A bit thicker than straight water once it's mixed up. Milky white in color.

Cleaning Ability: Pretty much what you'd expect with a QD. I applied it to a freshly waxed S2000, so the car in question was very clean already. Just some light dust, which was removed as expected.

Lubricity: Here's where this stuff made my jaw hit the floor - the surface it leaves behind is almost impossibly slick! "My towel just fell off the hood" kind of slick. Really impressive in this regard.

Suds: Not applicable

PH: Not applicable

Appearance: Very, very shiny. BUT, again, it's a bit hard to say, since I'd just waxed the car with RBOE, and it already looked great. It's raining out today, so I haven't had the chance to pull the car out into the sun and take any pictures or do a real careful analysis of the look of this stuff. But, under the halogens in the garage, it looks great.

Durability: I don't know the answer to this one yet.

Pros: Very cost effective. Easy to apply and remove. Leaves an incredibly slick finish after you're done. Doesn't take much. If you overspray some onto your window glass, you can wipe it right off, and it doesn't leave streaks behind.

Cons: I can't think of any, unless you happen to be put off by the smell, which is a personal preference.

Overall Comments: I'm very impressed with it. Several months ago, I posted a thread asking what the difference was between various QD sprays. As I've learned, I've come to realize that there are a lot of mediocre ones out there, and some really good ones. This is a really good one, in my opinion.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best): 5, so far. It'll be interesting to see how it does as a dry-time, post-wash QD, and how it feels over a finish that hasn't been so recently waxed.

2. blas

blas Birth of a Detailer

nice review :)

3. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

Nice review! I love OID. The slickness it adds is just crazy!

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Sounds promising.

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

One of the very best QDs ever. Very cost effective too!!!

6. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

I have some of this stuff as well but I made the mistake of buying the 16oz bottle. I am definitly getting the 32 concentrate in my next order.

I love this stuff!!

7. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

Thanx for the review

8. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Very good review, thanks!

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great review! OID is some great stuff!!!

10. blackjz

blackjz Jedi Nuba

THe best QD i have ever used. nice price too....Great review

11. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Great review...Thank you for sharing...:thumb:

12. mShu7

mShu7 Birth of a Detailer

Thanks for the review. I agree. OID produces the slickest finish i have ever seen. It also seems to add another dimension to an already waxed/sealed surface!

13. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I tried it. I decided my detailer needs were two kinds: cleaning and gloss. For cleaning there are many detailers. If I want gloss, I just use a spray wax (some some durability) for the same money. It works as advertised.

14. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Nice review, any opinion on does it compare with fk425?

15. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Don't know - I've never tried FK425.

16. blucpe

blucpe Birth of a Detailer

i'vr got and use both and i personally don't find a vast difference between the two, except for cost effectiveness, then oid wins hands down, both excellent products, you can't go wrong with either one.

17. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

At the moment, I can't imagine even bothering with another QD. This stuff is really great. The slickness is almost hard to believe, and it's working out to about $3 per spray bottle! I am completely sold.

18. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

i concur.. the stuff is awesome!!!

19. dervdave

dervdave Virgin Detailer

Try mixing OCW with OID for extra durabilty.

20. blucpe

blucpe Birth of a Detailer

what ratio do you use?