Product Review: Malco Foam Restoration Compound

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by krshultz, Dec 1, 2009.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Product Name: Malco UFC Foam Restoration Compound (malcopro.com)

Price: I'm not sure. Jeff at Majestic Solutions gave me an 8oz. bottle of this stuff to try when they first started stocking it.

Size: 8 fl. oz (236 mL)

Amount used during application: 2-3 pea-sized drops on a 5.5" pad for an area roughly 2' square

Dilution ratios: N/A

Container appearance: White plastic bottle with black, screw-on, pop-up dispenser cap

Directions or Application process (from the bottle):
    For best results use with Malco Pink CCS Foam Compounding Pad #810141. Shake well before using. Make sure the vehicle is clean and dry before compounding. Apply a 1" dab of UFC to surface and buff at medium speed (1600-2000 rpm) in an even back and forth motion. Continue buffing until scratches are removed and gloss appears. For severe, deep scratches a second application may be required. Wipe surface clean with a soft, clean micro-fiber cloth. (Text continues recommending other Malco products for finishing)

What I did was the aforementioned 2-3 pea-sized drops per 2' square area, using an Uber yellow cutting pad at 1500-2000rpm.

Ease of use: I don't know what's different about it, but I found this stuff to spread very nicely and evenly before turning the machine loose on it. Once you're working it, it's got nice working time, but not an impossibly long working time, either - it seems "just right." It's very good about going clear once it's completely broken down. It does generate a fair amount of dust, but I'd say it does so less than Menzerna Power Gloss. The only heavy cutting compound I've ever tried that didn't dust is Scholl S03+, which I love, but as you all know, is hard to get.

Smell / Scent: It smells vaguely of petroleum distillates.

Consistency: Thick, not quite like toothpaste, but a little thicker than most Menzerna stuff I've used. Very gritty between the fingers. You can tell it's meant to be used as a cutting polish.

Cleaning Ability: N/A

Lubricity: Excellent. Easy to spread. Nice long working time, but not needlessly long. Spreadability is excellent.

Suds: N/A

PH: Unknown

Appearance: For the amount of cut this stuff offers, it finishes down rather well. With that said, don't expect to go straight to LSP. This stuff WILL leave holograms.

Durability: N/A

Pros: Very aggressive. Works very well with the yellow Uber pad that Phil recently released. Workability is a real pleasure. Finishes down surprisingly well for an aggressive cutting polish.

Cons: Considerable dust.

Overall Comments: What a pleasant surprise. For some reason, I wasn't expecting much out of this stuff. When doing heavy cutting, I always go to Menzerna Power Gloss and, at a minimum, a yellow Uber or a green 3M UK. Malco claims this stuff is formulated for use with foam pads (rather than wool), and I believe them. It's a pleasure to work with. Very, very nice correction which, as you can imagine, necessitates at the very least a second pass with something less aggressive.

As to the nature of the abrasives, the label reads as follows: "Its advanced formula contains special abrasives that combine to provide both aggressive compounding capabilities and fine polishing properties."

I think I've found my new cutting polish of choice. It seems more aggressive than Power Gloss. Reminds me a bit of original 105 as far as cutting power, without 105's annoyingly short working time.

Rating (out of five): I give it a solid four out of five. If it was as dust free as Scholl S03, it would score a perfect five, but S03+ sets a pretty high bar in this regard. UFC will more than likely replace Menzerna Power Gloss in my arsenal as my aggressive polishing compound. Very impressed.

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

This is the compound that you had showed me a while back correct? Nice to see that it is a nice compound, seems like it may be a cheaper alternative for Menz as if I remember correctly Malco is slightly cheaper. Nice review.

3. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Yep, same stuff. MS has it on the shelf in small and large bottles.

4. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Good to know, thanks for the review!