Product Review: Einszett Leather Care

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by krshultz, Sep 2, 2009.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Product Name: Einszett Leather Care 'Ledepfledge' (Links: Einszett USA website; product information page)

Price: 14.95USD from Detailer's Domain

Size: 250 ml

Amount used during application: About what you would expect of a lotion leather conditioner. Maybe a quarter-size dollop for half the cushion of a bucket seat.

Dilution ratios: N/A

Container appearance: Black plastic bottle with flip cap; cap is threaded

Directions or Application process: Squeeze a small amount of Leather Care onto a microfiber mitt/towel/whatever you typically use to apply leather conditioner. Spread as you normally would. Let it sit for a while. Later, return with a clean, dry microfiber, and buff off any excess. I found that there wasn't much excess to speak of.

Ease of use: As easy as any other lotion style leather conditioner you may have used. It spreads evenly and doesn't leave dark spots or blotchy areas. Does not clog the pores of perforated leather. If you see excess in perforated leather, you're using too much product.

Smell / Scent: Like other Einszett interior products I've used (Cockpit Premium, Klima-Kleen), it smells nice, but it's difficult to place what it smells like. The smell is appropriate for a leather conditioner. If you've ever smelled a Yankee Candle leather scented "Car Jar" air freshener, the smell is basically identical.

Consistency: Viscous, like hand lotion or suntan lotion.

Cleaning Ability: Surprisingly good. Around my steering wheel where I usually grip it, Leather Care released dirt onto my microfiber towel that I didn't realize was there. LC certainly doesn't clean as powerfully as Majestic Solutions Leather and Plastic Cleaner, but it's not supposed to.

Lubricity: N/A

Suds: N/A

PH: Unknown

Appearance: The product itself is a pale yellow lotion.

Once applied and buffed, it's just about perfect. The leather looks like you did something; it looks clean and well looked after. On my black leather, it made the leather look very slightly darker. There is no greasiness or tackiness to it whatsoever. A lot of leather products make this claim, but 1Z Leather Care really does make leather feel like it did when new or nearly new. I applied it to my steering wheel, shifter, and center armrest; no slipperiness, no stickiness, no anything.

Durability: I don't know yet.

Pros: Easy to use, smells great. Surprisingly good cleaning ability. Leather looks great, and feels nice, after use. Far less hateful to use than Leatherique.

Cons: I don't yet know how long a bottle will last. It's only a 250mL bottle, so it might be best to save this for your own vehicles, and/or for "special occasions" and high end customers. I imagine that you could go through half a bottle of it on something like a Suburban with third row seating.

Overall Comments: My hands down favorite leather conditioner. The others will either get sold or get binned, with one or two getting held back for use on customer vehicles.

Einszett's USA website features an interesting article on leather care. It's worth a read, and makes a compelling case for abandoning traditional leather conditioners on coated leather upholstery. As a side note, their whole website is actually pretty good, including a blog from the president of Einszett North America.

Rating (out of five): Five. I'm 100% thrilled with this stuff, and recommend it without hesitation. Try it; you'll love it.

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have used about 2 bottles of this stuff and now just recently got some LM to try out. It does work great for leather that is not too dirty and you up keep it. The smell is a nice leather like one and last for a little bit of time. The bottle does last a decent amount of time, did a GTI full leather interior about 4-5x. Also love how you can use it on the wheel and it does not make it slippery or sticky like some other leather conditioners I have used.

3. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Thanks for the review Karl. I have this stuff but haven't tried it yet. I am a huge 1Z fanatic and have tons of stuff from them.

4. JM604

JM604 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks for posting! I have this stuff and agree with just about everything you mentioned.

5. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I'm definitely going to check out more 1Z stuff.

6. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

i too read that same article while surfing 1Z's site (big fan of cockpit prem and gummi pflege), so decided to buy it

haven't used it yet but definitely keen too

ive got Gliptone Cleaner + Conditioner, Z9 + Z10, and the Swissvax twins - and ive never really been absolutely happy with any of them on nappa coated leather

im a little cautious about using conditioners on steeringwheels as i prefer the matt look, so always only use a cleaner

can you confirm it doesnt give the steeringwheel that glossy worn look?

......and here's my interior so you get an idea as to how much leather products i go through

[​IMG]

7. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Dude, you have stunning M3! For Napa leather you might wanna use products that are designed to work on Napa leather...I think Leather Master makes those, not sure which ones those are, as I never had a car with Napa leather...

8. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

It doesn't leave anything looking glossy in my experience, but I'll stop short of promising you the same. The last steering wheel I used the stuff on is the one in my 5 year old S2000. Its steering wheel rim is a little on the shiny side anyway, so it's impossible to say for sure. I can tell you that 1Z Leather Care does not make anything *more* shiny than it already was.

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Third row seats in most SUVs are vinyl. Don't waste leather conditioner on it unless you are sure. Hell, most second row seats only use leather inserts.

10. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I like this stuff. Works pretty well.

11. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Interesting!! I never knew this. What's the best way to tell? (Granted I've only dealt with third row seats on Merc's and infiniti's)

12. Denzil

Denzil Guest

That's some good info to know! Thanks Ken!

13. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Most cars (under 30-35k) usually just have leather inserts in the seating areas. The marketing term is leather trimmed seating which means leather in the seating area. You can feel the difference.

This is why protected leather care products can be use.

When I looked into the Einszett, it used wax as the protective barrier. I have seen lanolin used to do the same thing.

14. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

ok i gave this a shot over the weekend

i applied it with an mf pad, really rubbed it in, initially looked a little oily and glossy so i started panic'ing

let sit for about 3-5 mins then wiped off, and it did leave the seats with a slight sheen, just a fraction more gloss than when i started - Z9 + Z10

now im very anal about keeping my white leather super clean, and upon inspection it does look spotless, yet wiping a dry MF over the seats did release some dirt onto the towel - i was shocked

i was initially put off by the chemical smell, but after one full day even with the windows up, it has gone, but theres no lingering "leather in a bottle" smell like the gliptone conditioner or Z10

im undecided whether i prefer the no smell to the artificial leather smell atm

also one full day later, the seats have lost that initial sheen and now look matt again - maybe that was me rubbing some excess off hoping in and out of both front seats to test the "suppleness"