Product Review: Big Daddy Fenix is the real deal

Discussion in 'Detailers Domain' started by dsms, May 3, 2010.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Review coming soon on full corrections but so far after just doing an estimate on a black Lexus the Fenix TK40 is definitely an upgrade to the TK10/11

It covers so much more area and is super bright.

Pics coming later

EDIT- PICS

I am working on a silver 911 now so this light wont show much but I did an estimate today on a black LS430 which was hammered, I tried out the new TK40 and was very impressed with the initial result.

Super bright, long throw, lights up more paint by far compared to smaller Fenix and highlights a bit more defects

I needed to do a test panel on this car for the estimate (DB members car actually) and I took some pics using the new Fenix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TK40 plus camera flahs, the blob you see is the TK40 LED looking at purely sanding scratches installed by a hack dent guy

[​IMG]

50/50 after correction

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Showing normal defects, highlights a lot of stuff for sure

[​IMG]

Will do more testing so far, 8, yes 8 double A batteries needed which I can see being annoying but so far its a monster lightsource and now my TK10 will be used purely for backup.

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Damn you! Do you know how many lights I already have?

3. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

What a tease!!!!

4. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

630 Lumens, GTFO!!! That is ridiculous!! So do you have a TK11 for sale now?????????

5. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

I tried the TK40 but was not that impress. May be because i had too high expectation when it stated 630 lumens. It covers a much wider angle but I find my tk 11 has stronger throw. May be I need to change the battery for TK40 and compare again. TK40 requires 8 AA battery which is actually quite troublesome.

6. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

If theres one thing I learned in detailing its how important having a backup is!

Mayabe thats why I ended up with 3 rotaries and 2 DA machines, not to mention more buffing pads than I have shelf space for :shakehead:

7. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Whats that run?

8. mrgolfrider

9. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Right after I hastily posted that, I remembered seeing it at Phil's place Friday. Im a schmuck.

Thanks.

10. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

nice, that thing is powerful as hell. i recently picked up a surefire G2 LED weaponlight for my AR-15. oh and i'll be using it while correcting as well.

11. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

So that black LS430 is actually mine. And this light sure was impressive to say the least. Standing there and looking at that 50/50 with both lights there was really no comparison at all. The 40 certainly was amazing.

12. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

isn't 630lumens too bright? and what does throw mean?

13. mrgolfrider

The "throw" of the light, or how good it is at projecting light over a distance, NOT overall brightness or quantity of light produced.

That was taken from:
    Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

14. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

I agree never can have enough backup's

15. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I often find that after using my TK11 for defect inspection that I am temporarily blinded due to the intensity of the light and I sometimes take it of "hyper power" mode to just the regular mode.

While this light looks VERY cool, using it for detailing for me would be a bit overkill.

16. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

so maybe we need a GB on these.

17. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

or a group give away? :)

18. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

id be in for a group buy after seeing what it can do first hand.

19. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Few more pics from today

Car was finished already so not much in the way of highlighting defects but it just shows the area the TK40 can cover

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Thats a nice light. Lots bigger than a TK-11. You gotta pay if you want to play.