Product Review: Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by JLs Detailing, Jul 7, 2009.

1. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Product Name: Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner

Price: $44.95 CAD from Autowerkes Exclusive

Size: 5L (You can also purchase the 500ml bottle at $19.95 CAD)

Amount used during application: Not very much.

Dilution ratios: N/A

Directions or Application process: Just spray it on and let it set for a few minutes, agitate, and rinse off. This stuff really foams up when it comes out and then foams up even more when you agitate it. You can see it pulling the grime off in the foam. Foams up better than P21s wheel gel.

Ease of use: Very easy to use, just rinse, spray, agitate, and rinse.

Smell / Scent: Smells like a wheel cleaner.

Consistency: Thin but really foams up.

Cleaning Ability: Excellent. Now this isn't Megs Wheel Brightener but that's not what it's designed for and it cleans average soiled wheels very well. Not only does it clean very well but it also has a glossing agent to add a nice shine to the wheels when done.

Lubricity: Not applicable

Suds: A lot especially for a wheel cleaner.

PH: Pretty neutral as it's Acid Free.

Appearance: Makes all wheels look great. Thats a real selling point that it's safe for all wheel types.

Durability: Not Applicable

Pros: A very safe, effective, and affordable wheel cleaner. You can use it safely on all wheel types ie, P21s wheel gel but a fraction of the cost. I've used a number of wheel cleaners for moderately soiled wheels like CGs Sticky Gel, P21s Wheel Gel, Bilberry, Surf City Beyond Steel and many many more and I like the AG Custom Wheel Cleaner the best. One of the most affordable on the market as well.

Cons: Not much, really. I guess the real drawback is that you have to buy it from outside the US but that means you get to work with a great vendor like Ken at Autowerkes! Also shipping could get bad I guess because you have so much of it. You could however bypass that by purchasing the 500ml bottle first (that's what I did and got hooked).

Overall Comments: Best Wheel cleaner I have used. I have a partial bottle of Bilberry wheel cleaner but I always reach for my AG Custom wheel cleaner. Its just so effective and reasonably priced I have to use it!

Rating (out of five): I give it a five. I won't be without this stuff.

2. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Great review JL!! I would like to add the bottle states a 1:1 dilution for well maintained wheels for a less aggressive "cut" i guess you could call it :shrug:

Other than that, no comments! I think I'm either going to get a 5L or a 20L.. Haven't decided and don't have funds to make either purchase atm anyways :p

3. richy

richy Guest

JL..Great review..it has my interest stoked. How does it compare to DG's all wheel cleaner? The awc is only $23 for a gallon, which is 4L. (3.78 to be exact). Is it worth the extra $?

4. JLs Detailing

Thanks Aaron I didn't know that you could cut it as I've always used it straight.

Rich I've never used the DG wheel cleaner but the AG CWC reminds me of a better P21s wheel cleaner. In fact once I got my two 5L containers from Ken I sold all my P21s wheel gel I had.

5. dankfanatic

dankfanatic Guest

thanks for the review! looks like i'll have to pick some up once i run out of CG sticky gel.

6. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Dude, now you tell us. Ken just shipped my order today. :fs:

7. d00t

I do too, but you never know who may want to cut it!

8. d00t

No excuses!! JL and I have been raving about this in our details for over a month now! :p:

9. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

nice. cant wait to get mine. im expecting a large package with lots of goodies from ken any day now!

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

No worries. I'll send some with the Flex you're gonna order!:thumb:

11. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Stand behind me Satan!

12. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

So is it stronger or weaker than SC beyond steel? Have you used Valugard custom wheel cleaner, if so how does it compare? Thanks JL.

13. JLs Detailing

I think it cleans a better than Beyond Steel did and it's more economical. I have had AG Custom Wheel Cleaner clean up some wheels that I would have normally just went and reached for the Megs WB. I was pleasantly surprised by this product. I haven't tried the Valugard wheel cleaner. I remember when this site was just starting a member on here from the Seattle area was raving about it and I almost bought some but never did.

14. D&D Auto Detailing

Ill have to give it a shot some time. I just ordered another gallon of the Valugard wheel cleaner. It cleans very well and clings very well. Only downside is it has a pH of 1.5- 2.5, but it says its safe for all wheels.

15. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I have been looking at this and BH Surfex HD, well now I really need to pick some up thanks JL lol

16. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

How do you like it compared the MS SGS?

17. JLs Detailing

I don't use SGS on wheels although its perfectly capable and safe to do so. I use the SGS on tires, wells, engines, lower panels etc.

18. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

oh ok. thanks!

19. D&D Auto Detailing

I used some of this the other day an am very impressed. It is very alkaline though, with a pH of 13.39.

20. Zookie

Zookie Jedi Nuba

Well i just picked up a 5L Jug from Nick @ Detailers Heaven who got it from Ken @ Autowerks... I read on Autowerks that this can be Diluted 1:1, which i did... But i found that it still worked much better than i thought Diluted... You think it will be ok to Dilute it 1:2?

BTW this stuff is the Best i have ever used