Product for wheel wells

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by luke093, Jun 23, 2010.

1. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

I have CG Extreme Shine (waiting for me in the US of A...) but I wants to know, can I dillute 1:1 with mineral spirits to use on wheel wells? Or should I get a dedicated wheel well product?

If the latter, what are my options?

CG Barebones
    OPT Opti-Bond 1:1
    Hyperdressing 3:1

I just want to hear from you, which in your opinion should be my choice. (need to decide before 12am as DI 25% off sale ends today.

Help ;)

2. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

CG Barebones is suppose to be good I use and like Meg All Season Dressing or Hyper Dressing

3. luke093

Anyone also know if you can dilute solvent based products with Mineral Spirits to stretch the bang for buck?

4. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I would tend to think not because too high a solvent level could be detrimental to the plastic being dressed. I vote CG Barebones as it never fails to impress both in terms of its durability and dirt repellancy. If I am doing a wheels off detail, I use a few layers of Opti-bond but that generally only happens for my car.

5. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

i spray CG Orange Degreaser diluted 5:1 inside the guards and let it dwell while im washing that wheel - so id say for about 2 mins, and then i hose it off

that alone seems to remove most of the dirt, otherwise if i get caught in the wet for eg i do the same, then use a mitt with the bug remover texture

that leaves a natural matt finish

6. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Opti bond and Hyperdressing are water based and will not last. Pay a little more and get Barebones.

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I say just clean them.

8. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

you would be surprised on how many folks do not dress the wheel wells or how many people don't care for it.

On a side note . . . . . i have never tried bare bones but have heard great things about it. Currently i use Megs Hyper dressing.

9. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

i use CG BB all the time. i wont call a car i've done a complete detail until i dress the wheel wells. if its just a wash or quick wash and wax i wont do unless its paid for. to me undressed wheel wells are like people that wear a nice suit and shoes but have on white tube socks.

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

OUCH! If wheels wells are cleaned PROPERLY, they will look very close to new so there isn't any need to dress them. Just my 2 cents.

11. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

well you must only work on cars that are newer?? most of the cars around here are already battered and beat from people using degreaser on them. turns the plastic white and leaves it blotchy

just my 2 cents

12. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

heres a secret......I use a sponge to apply TropiCare White Pearls Dressing to the wheel wells. They come out awesome and I do it while I am dressing the tires so its easy and simple.

13. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

damn i really want to try that tropicare stuff

14. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

I use the CG Extreme Shine for tires, trim, and engine dressing. I like it so far and a little goes a LLLLOOOOONNNNGGGGG way... I will probably have a gallon of the stuff for years :lol: I haven't used it for wheel wells yet though. I still have some Adam's undercarriage spray I am using up. But I imagine cleaning and using an applicator to spread on will leave a nice finish.

With the CG ES you can spray it on but on hard plastic you HAVE to wipe it or it will run, so I just apply with a Uber Small Applicator pad and a micro fiber to get a uniform appearance. On smaller trim I use a foam brush and buff of with a micro fiber...

That being said, I am thinking about getting CG BB for the undercarriage as it seems to be the ideal solution for undercarriage. :)

15. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

I use Adam's Undercarriage after I clean them.

Nice grape smell as well.

16. evolutionwc3

evolutionwc3 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Adams Invisible Undercarriage and Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant (OTC) get my vote.

17. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I have used Adam's, Bare Bones, and Griots undercarriage sprays. The CG smell is the mildest to me. Adam's is grape and Griots is intense (do not really like).

The most cost effective way to use them is to spray some and spread with an applicator.

18. luke093

Not sure, but the wells in the lex look good after a cleaning, but in the honda, they are too light. + if I ever do someone elses car I'd rather be prepared and get something good.

Lastly, I picked up 1 Gallon of Opti-Bond, 1 Gallon of CG Barebones and 1 Gallon of CG CWC, 32oz OPT Car Wash, 32oz OPT No Rinse, 1Z Gummi, and some LC Tire Dressing apps.

Way to treat myself good after high school exams! :)

19. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Shoulda got gallons of the Opt car wash and ONR :p:

20. stottie

stottie Birth of a Detailer

when i do costmers cars i just clean real good and it makes it look good. i tried a sample of bare bones on my 350z and it just seemed like it attraced more dust, and got dull looking quicker with the coating on it. thats just my 2 cents