Process for cleaning carpet

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by stealthmode, Nov 27, 2008.

1. stealthmode

stealthmode Two Bucket System Washer

I want to test out my wet vac this weekend and was wondering what the process was for cleaning carpets. I have CG Fabric Clean. Basically would i rinse the carpet after scrubbing or just suck up the product??? Could someone give me some advice as to what to do?? I dont want my carpets to become stiffer than they already are lol. Thanks

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Well firstly, you'll want to dry brush your carpet as you vacuum to get the majority of the debris to the surface of the carpet. After that, you'll want to apply your carpet cleaner (fairly light but thorough mist) all over the area to be treated and then agitate it pretty well. After this step, I usually extract the carpets with my Mytee Lite II as it applies the heated water and extracts at the same time. You could do something similar by just using a spray bottle of warm/hot water and spraying down the area as you extract the carpets with your wet/dry vacuum.

3. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Just bought a Bissell Little Green Machine. Now I see they have a Proheat version. I'm thinking I should return the one I just got, and get the proheat one for the extra 30 bucks.

4. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Most will just run hot water through it.

5. stealthmode

Thanks for the help. Ill give that a try this weekend.:)

6. stealthmode

I had a hard time getting all the dirt/product out of my carpet. I sprayed cg fabric clean, scrubbed carpets, then used wet vac to get all the excess water out. I even tryed soaking the carpet as i wet vac. The carpet feels sorfter and looks somewhat cleaner so thats a plus but theres still dirt and a some product in the carpet. Is there any tips/advice anyone can give me? What did i do wrong? Thank you:thud:

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Did you ensure that you flushed out all the dirt/chemicals? You might have to vacuum/extract underneath your carpet.

8. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Theres a good write up by Grouse on Autopia about this.

9. stealthmode

i thought i did but maybe when i vacuumed the water it spready everything around? should i try running a hose and vacuuming at the same time? i dont know if that would be safe tho....too much water??

10. richy

richy Guest

When they're really dirty or stained with nasty stains, I vacuum 1st; pre-treat the stains with Folex and wipe with a white terry cloth; then power wash, apply apc and scrub; power wash again and let drip dry for a while. Then I vacuum thoroughly (and that's where you can put in your funky stripes). In the summer they dry outside, in the winter I go over it with the steam cleaner to dry it and finish it off. If they're not too bad, i mist Folex over the area and go over with the terry cloth and then steam clean. The 1st method takes a while but can't be beat for the nasty stains that steam alone won't get out.

11. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

A thorough stain removal / cleaning process would require the following; the correct chemical cleaner, heat, agitation, and water to act as a carrier system and as a final rinse.

Spot cleaning -before cleaning a stain ascertain the material and try detergent and water before using a specific cleaner. Start with a 10:1 solution and decrease dilution as necessary

Once fabric is clean apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard)

12. carguy461

carguy461 Two Bucket System Washer

I use the proheat one and works great for me, like said spray the carpets first then extract them. go for it/...:applause2:

13. stealthmode

Maybe i shouldve diluted the cg fabric clean a little more and used hot water......forgot about the hot water part haha. Anyway ill give it another shot this weekend...does that bissell lgm take a long time to do one side of the carpet in a car? does it clean well?

14. stealthmode

This might be a stupid question:shrug: but how do i put those stripes in my carpet?

15. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I made the exchange. It's a christmas present for me, so I can't open it til then. No big deal since it's FREEZING out right now.

Just change directions with each row. For example, first run it front to back, then on the next row over, run it back to front. Carpet has a "grain" to it.

16. stealthmode

now i see haha....never cleaned carpets before until this past weekend only vacuumed

17. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Has anyone tried/have those carpet brushes that attach to a PC? They look interesting..

18. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

I have the carpet and the leather ones and they are very nice. A much more timely and consistent job, just like it does for wax application.