Problems with flash and swirls

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by hockeyplaya13, Feb 29, 2008.

1. hockeyplaya13

hockeyplaya13 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Ok so when I try to take pics of the paint with the camera and use the flash, I end up with this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How do I get it so that I will see just the little round flash and then swirls around it?

2. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

You are way too close. Move back a little bit.

3. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

move back and edit the size of the pics in your first post, lol

4. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

I think if your going to take pics that close your camera will need a macros(sp) option in order for them to turn out.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

It will be hard to take pics to capture swirls with a direct flash. You need an external light source that shows the swirls and take a picture of that. You cannot have them (the camera and the flash) in the same place. The light will reflect back into the lens and you'll end up with the above...

6. hockeyplaya13

Ok. I typically use halogens, but was still wondering if I could use the flash. Guess not. Yea, sorry, those are pretty huge. And the ISO is set way too high. I just ran outside and snapped a few to show you what I meant. I need to get the Brinkmann.

7. brianja

brianja Jedi Nuba

I agreed. :nod:

The flash is too harsh and has washed out the photo, but I think a big part of the equation is that you were too close to the car for the camera to be able to focus. Without macro you will likely need to be at least 18 inches from the surface.

8. hockeyplaya13

Well I've got macro, but it won't flash in that mode. :(

9. Calogero

Calogero Two Bucket System Washer

Yes step back and try and find the angle.

Don't use the flash.

Use a light in the garage that might help better capture the swirls or direct sunlight.

10. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Theres a reason it wont flash in macro mode :graduation:

You will need alternate lighting to get the paint defects to show up. Use them to get the look your after and your pics will turn out as you see them. :picture:

11. richy

richy Guest

A tripod can be your best friend:)

12. hockeyplaya13

Good point, thanks for reminding me. My dad has one and it will fit mine, so I should start using it. Thanks!