Problems I've been having with grabby/squeaky...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Reflect, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

polishing/compounding. My dad wants me to restore our old (sorta, 2001) Expedition for him to have as an around-town car for when he doesn't want to use his work truck. I'm going for about 75% correction to basically bring the color back and used a B&S Yellow w/ Power Gloss followed by a B&S Blue with Power Finish. Each combination seemed to dry out really fast and I hope my polishes aren't going back since the heat wave we've been having recently. I had to mist the area with pad conditioning a few times while polishing (outside but not direct sunlight) to keep it from drying up and making a squeaking sound. It seems really grabby and catches (obviously with the squeaking sound). I had this problem before on my Xterra so I think it might be limited to either the polishes or pads.

2. Reflect

bump for today

3. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

The only thing that I can see attributing to that might be humidity. I used the same combinations on a day where you could literally cut the humidity with a butter knife and I had the same issues. Otherwise everything was fine again a day or two later when there was none.

4. Reflect

You would think it'd make it smoother to polish but apparently not. Somehow I got it to finish down pretty well after spraying the area a few times mid-polish. The hood is pretty shot to begin with (deep acid rain etching, random RDS) but the gloss is back.

5. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I agree you would think it would be easier but I guess not, but like you I sprayed mid polish and it helped extend the work time.