Prima Hydro Seal Installation Video

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Nick@Prima, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Nick@Prima

Nick@Prima DB Certified Manufacturer

Here is quick video explaining the Hydro Seal installation process.

Hydro Seal video

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

looks interesting....... what kind of longevity can you expect from this? also can you layer it? what is the cure time?

3. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great vid, is that your new Ferrari ; )

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Looks pretty interesting application method and product. Interested to hear some long termish reviews of it.

5. KlineS157

KlineS157 Birth of a Detailer

I'll let you know as soon as I can order it from Phil! I love Prima!

6. Kilo6_one

Phil, when are you bringing this in? I saw you state somewhere you were planning on doing so.

7. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

What an interesting application. I don't know how you could screw that up. I wonder what microfiber towel he was using.

8. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

the shipment just got in....we have to update the shopping cart.

9. Kilo6_one

10. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Very cool!

11. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Looks interesting, similar how I apply Bilt Hamber Auto Balm. I need to restock on some Prima. I remember a few years back I purchased the line because of reading and seeing the work done by Richard Lin and many people said I made a mistake and I should have went with either Meguiars or Menzerna

12. Nick@Prima

Longevity-We are getting 25+washes when using Hydro Wash. Basically one wash a week for six months. When visiting a commercial wash facility, for example, we are seeing roughly half that. Like any wax, environment and abuse are relevant to durability.

Cure time is around 24 hours. You can certainly layer it, and you don't need to wait for it to cure. You can actually layer it with itself, Prima Hydro, Amigo, or even Epic. The only downside to layering with something other than itself, is that you don't get the "pure" Hydro Seal look. HS really has a unique look that I recommend you try out at least once before you add other products. Obviously, as you can see from the video, there is no dry time.

Not my 612. :) I had a friend bring it by. I wanted a Bordeaux Maserati QP, but we made do.

13. Kilo6_one

Sorry, I should have been more clear, can you layer it with the same product..... like maybe 2 coats in one day, and is there a wait time. Do I need it to fully cure?

14. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

Is that kind of durability similar to epic or will epic last longer, if same durability, then are the diffs pure looks of the products and application; or other diferences?

15. dogma

dogma DB Forum Supporter

I have a couple of questions.
    1. If I use Amigo then want to go to Hydro seal you recommend a wet wipe down correct ? With a damp MF or would original Hdryo work ?
    2. Can you still get the true look of Hydro seal after using Amigo first ?Should any other products be stripped off first especially if it contains carnuba ?

16. Nick@Prima

You can apply multiple coats one right after another.

Epic is going to be more durable that HS. There is a higher concentration of a different polymer in Epic.

Although you want to apply with damp MF you can use original Hydro as your spray to mist the paint.
    Amigo and Epic look very similar. You will get a little bit of their glossy wetness coming through if you apply HS over Amigo. If you apply over Amigo, I would wait at least an hour before you apply HS.
    HS will go over most any synthetic. If you apply over a carnauba, you may get some streaking. If the carnauba has been on the paint for-say a week-application will likely be fine. Your bond may be light, though. Personally, I would strip the carnauba.

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Any Rag Vehicle Washer

As far as I understand BG is a cleaner-filler wax while Epic and Hydro seal are pure sealants. So BG doesn't seem to be layered on Epic or HS, and these don't bond to BG either. Is there any point in getting Banana Gloss, Epic and Hydro Seal at the same time? Do you have any application practice you would like to share with us?

18. Nick@Prima

BG isn't a traditional cleaner wax. The emulsifiers in BG do have some cleaning properties, but they aren't such that it falls into the defined category of a cleaner wax. Any product with a petroleum distillate will clean to a certain degree.

You can certainly apply BG over Epic, Hydro Seal or any traditional sealant or wax. If you scrub it on, yes, you may impact your base coat, but if you follow the installation instructions and lightly apply it, the impact will be negligible.

As for getting all three at once, I don't think there is a benefit, but here is one scenario. You apply Epic first for your durability on less than perfect paint. You apply BG over that because you either want to change the look, or conceal some imperfections. For me, I like the look of Epic and don't like to change it with BG. I also really like Hydro Seal and don't want to change it with a topper.

19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks for the reply Nick. Could you please describe the difference in looks between HS, BG and Epic, and which lsp match to which paint type the most? I guess BG is best for dark colors, right?

20. Nick@Prima

Sure. Epic is glossy and wet. It still has some of the shine typically associated with a synthetic, but much less. Hydro Seal is hard to describe. It has a rich look too it. It's like a carnauba without the paint darkening effect of a carnauba. BG leans toward a carnauba look. Since it is a hybrid, once the nuba wears off, you have more of a sealant shine.

I've used BG on lots of colors and types (flake, pearl, no flake) and I wouldn't say it is better on dark colors. Because of the touch of carnauba, I would say it's a good fit, but I wouldn't discount its benefit on, say, red.