Pressure washer. Gasoline VS Electric

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by supercharged, Feb 14, 2009.

1. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

What kind of pressure washer do you guys mostly use? How much do they cost and how long do they last you? I'm thinking of getting one myself, I wanna make sure that it lasts, lasts, and lasts... Was looking at Karcher brand only. I checked out Costco, and it was around $160 for electric. Also visited local Big Lots, and they had a more powerful for $250 (gasoline) pressure washer, and also Karcher, but with Honda motor (which I really wanna get, knowing Honda reliability) for $280.
    Those of you who experienced gasoline pressure washers, how different are they from electric? Are they noisier? Do they smoke?
    I really wanted to be sure I can use it around the house (wife doesn't want me to get it, so I told her I'll do some spring clean up around the house and will need it). Do electric work around the house well? Are they less powerful? Do they last longer or not? what's the average life of a pressure washer?
    What about a foam lance/cannon?

TIA.

2. scot_w

scot_w Birth of a Detailer

I started with one of the Karcher residential models to wash down docks and boats, it did not last half the summer. When I took it to the repair center I was told that the residential models are meant for occasional use. I told the guy it was only used weekends. And he said they are meant to be used a couple of times a year, on and off but certainly not a half hour or more at a time. Needless to say the parts that died cost almost as much as a new unit.

Karcher makes nice equipment, but from what I was told you have to have at least the ProSumer level or higher to get "heavy" use ability. I now have a Craftsman gas powered pressure washer.

Gas vs. Electric: Gas takes more maintenance, it is just part of the beast. Gas can be used anywhere, I like it because there are no cords needed on the dock that could fall in the water. Gas is noisier and the engine runs all the time. Electric only runs when you pull the trigger. If you choose the Honda engine and keep it tuned it will not smoke (if it does you have a problem). Electric works anywhere you can run an extension cord. It is fine around the house. For most uses a pressure washer, gas or electric, will have almost too much pressure so watch how close you get to what you are washing so you do not cause damage (especially true of wood around the house).

My gas PW is now 6 years old and going strong. I am sure a heavy-duty electric would last as long.

Any excuse to buy a new tool is a good excuse.

3. richy

richy Guest

I have a Simonize model (1500 psi) that I have used for 6 years. I have replaced 3 parts in it that were defective, 2 times for the same part. It has served me well. FYI it's the equivalent of a US Karcher model 395. RJ BAUER is a great place for parts..call them and tell them what's wrong and they'll know what it needs.

4. DetailnDude

DetailnDude Birth of a Detailer

I have a Craftsman Model # 580.752052 pressure washer from Sears.It has a Briggs & Stratton Motor which is the motor used in many high performance go-garts very reliable. It is 2550 psi 2.3 gpm. it has about 6 different quick release nozzles for different appications which is very nice. It's gas only. I gave around $400.00 which includes the 3 year warranty on everything and anything exept it falling out of the back of a truck and things like that. If something breaks I take it in and they fix it or replace it with a new one. I see it like this $100 a year to have this machine even if it explodes the day the warranty runs out. not bad
    another nice feature is that you don't have to prime the motor. all you do is pull the cord and away you go. also very easy to manuver around . The only thing I did was add an extra 25' of hose to give me a total of 50' that did not decrease any pressure either. Hope that was helpful. electric and water sounds scary to me....

Have a Great One !
    Bob

5. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I picked up my gas powered, honda engine Karcher from Big Lots. Very happy with it so far as I use it not only for the car but around the house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I've actually got both - a gas and an electric. For detailing, I always use the electric. The gas seems, to me, like overkill. There's no real adjustment to it with the trigger - it's on or off for both of them.

I can change nozzles on the gas one to adjust the ferocity of the output. Which is fine, but in a lot of cases that seems to leave me with water all over the place. 40 degrees is a wide area of coverage, and to me, a bit hard to control in confined areas like cars.

I'm not doing heave volumes of cars at this moment, so it could be that I'll change my mind. For now though, if I need a pressure washer, I get the electric one out first.

Both of mine are Karchers, BTW.

7. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Electric for me. CAT 310. Totally rebuildable when the need comes. I have two of these where I work.....they run no less than 15hrs a day everyday. Ive had them for 5 years and have rebuilt each one once after 3 years. They dont get fed clean water either :giggle:

Ive had mine at home for over 9 years and havent had to touch a thing.
    Canadian Car Wash Parts Supplier

8. DetailnDude

DetailnDude Birth of a Detailer

That will be a good machine for about anything around the house and detailing. other than the brand it's basically the same machine as mine spec wise...

Have a Great One !
    Bob :chips:

9. Cyclo

Cyclo Birth of a Detailer

So.......... did you move the motorcycle out of the living room for the new Pressure washer?

10. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I have the 1500psi Karcher. About 6 months of use, no problems yet.

11. supercharged

that's exactly the one I was looking at and wanna get!!!

12. supercharged

that's funny! :applause2:
    Thanks everyone for your input! Again, I'll check out Big Lots, and a few other places and then will decide... That gas PW with Honda engine is so teasing!!!

13. Nica

Nica Banned

:nod: I agree that Honda pressure washer looks wicked :cheerl: :cheerl:

14. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

:lol:

Yeah, I just ride around on my PW now! :D

15. supercharged

Best of all it lasts! That's one of the main reason's I'm looking at it...

16. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I have a Craftsman Model # 580.752330. It's still running strong since initial purchase. Not a single part on it has been replaced (however the o-rings are cracked and need replacing :waiting2: ). Original spark plug also. I actually had to remove the plug to clean off the oxidation with a wire brush as it hadn't been used for about 2 years or more prior to firing it a few months ago again. Still original oil in the crank (soon to be replaced) :gasp:

Can't go wrong with a Craftsman unit though....

17. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

i have a 1500psi electric karcher. is holding up so far but its starting to leak from the inside :(

18. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

If your going to store that PW for extended periods of time you should roll the motor over so its on a compression stroke. That way the cylinder wont be exposed to moisture and be prone to the oxidation you saw on the plug. Fuel stabilizer is a must also.

19. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I have owned 2 electric Karchers (1800psi) BOTH broke after a few weeks of use. I then bought a Briggs and Stratton gas powered one (2550psi) and it worked great for a little while but it was very loud and had a rough pull starter... the noise was tough when detailing early in the mornings as I was afraid I would annoy some neighbors. Anyway I ended up seizing the motor of the gas powered Briggs. So I finally sucked it up and bough the CamSpray 1500A electric PW from Phil at DD and I am super happy with it. After almost 2 months of use it has proven to be very reliable (its built and weighs like a tank) and the pressure power is very strong. I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the use of an electric PW, no more mixing gas and oil, no more pull start and a quiet operation is a big plus for me yet when you buy a cheap unit like a yellow Karcher found in most Lowes hardware stores your taking a chance.

Buy electric and buy quality:headbang:
    Cam Spray 1500 FTMFW

20. supercharged

Anybody else?