Pressure wash carpet mats?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by er1k, Jun 10, 2008.

1. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

After viewing a few details, I saw that some people actually pressure wash carpet mats? Who else does this? Are there any risks of doing this?

Thanks
    Erik

2. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Just dont get it too close to the mat.

3. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I've done it a few times. I have a 2600 PSI gas power washer and let'er rip on some carpet mats on my neighbors' mini-van mats and they really turned out well. Like D&D said, just don't get to close or keep it in one spot for too long. Kind of like polishing, nice and slow, but keep it moving. I'd do an initial rinse out with the power washer, then spray some DuraGloss foam cleaner and scrub, then rinse out again. It's kinda cool to see the black water pouring out of them.

Oh, and don't forget to mind your nozzle tip...don't use the most potent nozzle. Again, like polishing, go least aggressive nozzle and move your way up.

4. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Thanks for the tip!

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

5. sumdetailer

sumdetailer Birth of a Detailer

Yeah when I went to get my car washed, I used the soap setting and power washed my floor mats... worked out really well.

6. FMJ

FMJ Any Rag Vehicle Washer

if you are going to a coin wash, then how do you let it dry or bring it back home?

I have also heard bring it to coin laundry, anybody try that yet?

7. sumdetailer

sumdetailer Birth of a Detailer

I will say this, it was the first time I had done it in my bmw and the floor mats hold a lot of water, and I mean a lot! I thought the water was just bouncing off but it was just soaking in. I then used the wet vacs at the place to get them reasonably dry. But they were a lot cleaner afterwards though.

8. FMJ

oh, nice idea, i was thinking you use a garbage bag to carry them home and let it air dry or something....

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I always use my pressure washer to clean the carpeted mats. Mine is set at 1200 psi but flows 4gpm so it does a great job. I always hang mine from one corner with those spring loaded clips you get at Home Depot etc. Hang them up for a few minutes and most of the water will have drained off.

10. richy

richy Guest

I never get mats cleaner than when I pw them. I do them when I wash the car so they have plenty of time to dry overnight. I then go over them with steam when I'm doing the interior. The pw/steam combo can't be beat, IMO.

11. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I've never tried pressure washing my mats but I have achieved really good results with pre-spotting with an APC mixture and following it with a steam cleaner. It dries really fast too!

12. FMJ

how often do you guys clean/steam your carpet?

same thing for winter mats? the rubber one.

13. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

I just did this on my mats the other day and today I noticed they are a bit stiff. Anybody know why?