powerlock or hard body?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by awdxtc, Jun 4, 2013.

1. awdxtc

awdxtc Birth of a Detailer

I am in the market for a new sealant. And I was wondering of the two I have listed which one you would pick and why. Looking for somrhing really glossy...looks over protection as long as the protection will last longer than a couple of months.

2. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

I havent tried hard body but i love PL. 2 good coats and im set for months. I wouldnt call it super glossy, but it works for me. I would also consider looking at Sonax polymer net shield

3. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Comparing apples to oranges..HB for the win.

4. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

If we're comparing randoms that aren't even in the same category, then go for Opti-Coat. Just make sure you prep the paint to perfection as that's what will really give you your best gloss. The coating/sealant/wax will only vary how it reflects, and not how MUCH it reflects.

5. awdxtc

What is the difference between powerlock and hard body.

6. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Major differences. HB is a nano coating made to last atleast a year or longer, it also has the slight ability to resist marring from washing etc. Powerlock is a traditional sealant that can yield far less durability when it comes to time. Both sheet very well and are great products.

Really comes down to more of what you are looking for in a product..........

7. Stang1989

Stang1989 Virgin Detailer

how long does power lock last?

8. Kilo6_one

On a garage kept and well maintained car, 4 months.

YMMV.

I had it go a tad bit longer before it started to break down. I had it topped with a wax and my car was rarely driven.

But I washed the car once a week using a PH neutral soap

9. awdxtc

Looks like its hard body for me. This is my daily driver and it is not garage kept.

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

With Hard Body, make sure you use the Wolf's Shine and Seal prior to applying it. It preps the paint for Hard Body and not using it will adversely affect the durability.

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Powerlock is nice, but durability sucks (3months). Hard body will last you over a year. Once you try it, there is no going back to powerlock.

12. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Will doing an IPA/Eraser wipe down prior to Hard Body work?

13. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Last over a year in what conditions? Anything can last a year given certain circumstances,

Powerlock is IMO the best all around BASIC polymer sealant. Goes on very easy, wipes clean and you can layer as you like. I have had great luck with it on my cars and I'd say 2 coats is good for a soild 3-4months. Tremendous slickness.

Hard Body does give a very nice look and offers great protection, not on the same level as a coating but a step up from your regular wax or sealant. HB is a tad more finicky than powerlock you should always apply thin and check for high spots.

You really cannot go wrong they are just two very different products. I use both regularly.

14. awdxtc

What type of coating?

15. Kilo6_one

Compared to Opticoat and the like

16. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

No. I talked to Jesse about this and he said to get the noted durability, Shine and Seal is necessary.

17. Kilo6_one

+1...........

18. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Not knowing this, I did a Prep All wipe down before applying Hard Body. It's going on 6 months and still beading and is slick as hell. Car is outside 24/7 so we'll see how long it lasts.

19. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Dave, I think we are comparing apples and oranges. I personally tested both of them on my cars, and found powerlock loosing its durability after around 3 1/2 months which I judge by beading/sheeting/ease of cleaning. Car I tested on was my wife's dd 2004 e46 bmw 325 ci which is jet black. Driven daily, garaged overnight. Washed weekly. I honestly did not expect very long durability, and this test of my own after you posted your durability test on audi a5. Hard body is what I'm currently testing and loving it so far. Yes, application is a bit harder, but I always use a damp mf towel if I have a hard to remove spot. Beading/sheeting/ease of cleaning is far better then on powerlock. I tested body wrap on my dd 2007 g35 which is never garaged, and found it loosing its durability after 12 months. It was still there, but dying. And now hard body took its place. Powerlock was replaced by cquartz after a 2 stage polishing with Scholl polishes.
    Again, it comes down to personal choice and preference. You cannot go wrong with either one.

20. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Did you use Shine and Seal before applying Hard Body?