Powerlock on rims

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by filipna, Oct 11, 2010.

1. filipna

filipna Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Anyone tried menzerna powerlock on rims?? Im detailing a bmw tomorrow, and was wondering if I could use the powerlock on rims. How long would it eventually last? I've run out of victoria.

Best regards, Filipna

2. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Yes. I clayed, 3 coats of Powerlock, waited until next morning, topped with Colli 845.
    My M3's OEM 19's bead like nothing Ive ever seen.

I absolutely love the Powerlock product. Easy on and easy off.

3. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

the beading is from the 845

i tried powerlock on wheels, brembo pads ate through it within a couple weeks

testing 845 now, been only 1 week though and holding strong

a good product for wheels is FK1000, i put that on my ti exhaust tips after the BF WD died after a few weeks, and its still beading a good 1.5 months later

4. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

So PL wont bead? Its not all the Colli. I dont drive all that much, so the rim I tested with just PL held up for a few weeks. I tried PL alone when I first picked up the product a few months ago.

IMO, I would throw a coat of PL on, then top it with a Colli, or a Glanz wax for further protection. Might be overkill, but with NJ winters, I go overboard.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I would get some Blackfire All Metal Sealant for your wheels. It'll take the heat from the wheels a lot better than regular sealants. I have a client with a GTi that puts 3 coats on his summer and winter wheels before installing them and uses nothing but soap and water for cleaning all season. :)

6. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

I put FK1000 on my wheels, but I still have to try Blackfire all metal sealant from Ken

7. filipna

filipna Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Sweet!! Thanks for all the good info!

8. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

hmmm...I'll have to try that now, putting Power Lock on my rims. I have an '09 GTI, and it produces virtually zero brake dust, and since I'm 17 I don't put that many miles on it. I've had the car since April of '09 and it's only got like 9600 miles on it. I still need to find something for my parent's cars, my dad's BMW produces more brake dust than anything I've ever seen before.

9. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

You'll need a high-temp wax like FK or a nano sealant to combat brake dust, especially the likes of a BMW. 3-5 series BMW's seem to be the worst IME... the 7 series seem to produce less brake dust.

10. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

BMW and vw soak pads in some kinda solution and that's one of reason it dusts like crazy, info is from somebody who worked at vw dealership shop. Just put collonite 476 wax on 2011 BMW 335i wheels today let's see how it holds up

11. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

I use 476 on my wifes LR3. Works well. She does a lot of stop and go.

12. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Domino, have you tried Blackfire Metal Sealant? It stands up to the heat and I'm really pleased with this sealant for wheels.

13. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

no i havent

its a bit too pricey to buy locally, especially when FK1000 works just as well

over time ive bought heaps of wheel specific products, CG wheelguard, wheel wax, pb wheel sealant, sv autobahn, as ive always run premium aftermarket wheels on all my cars, and also tested alot of sealants

the only products that have lasted more than say 3 weeks of stop start DD have been 476S and FK1000 in my experience

i havent used planet polish wheel sealant either yet, and alot of people claim very good durability

the only wax ive used to actually reduce brake dust (though only minimally) has been wheelwax

14. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

I've tried all the above and still like Blackfire Metal Sealant the best. I do both cars every month so I don't know how long it will last.

15. RekeHavoc

RekeHavoc Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Put some PL on my rims today, although only one layer.. Ill see how that holds up... Am considering getting FK1000

16. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Get it, the PL will not hold up on wheels.

17. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

Opti-Seal :thumb:

18. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Opti Coat... You will never look back