Power Finish or SIP?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by pektel, Sep 18, 2009.

1. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Gonna buy a quart of one or the other...

does PF have the same correcting ability as SIP? Or is it a little finer polish?

I have a quart of 85rd, and probably 15 oz of 106ff/fa, and a quart of PG, I just don't have a mid range polish yet of Menzerna's.

2. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

Since you already have 85RD I would go with SIP or IP. Never tried PF but I think it ALMOST has as much cut as SIP. SIP is tried and true though so you know its gonna get the job done most of the time.

3. pektel

I suppose I could just add a drop of 85rd or 106fa to SIP to accomplish the same thing as PF?

4. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

SIP has more cut than PF. I'd do SIP considering you have 106fa,ff, and PO85RD for finishing. I'm sure you can mix something up if you need it.

5. pektel

Yeah I was thinking mostly of cut. But then I thought... what about the one-steppers? I have nothing for that. but a drop of 106 or 85rd on the pad would give me the finish I need I would think.

6. Reflect

Just bump the pad up for finishing then. Why not get a 16oz of each?

7. pektel

I got 32 oz of SIP, 16 oz of PF. hehe.

8. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

I've used both and I would say PF since it can be used as a one stepper. I couldn't tell a huge difference between the cut of the two. Maybe more can chime in with their opinions as well.

9. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

That was quick.

10. pektel

Yeah, I was loading up my cart for the 2500 member sale.

I find that the longer I'm on the site, the more I spend.

I was able to get away with only spending 114 this time.

From the descriptions I read, SIP can remove 2000 grit, PF says 2500 grit.

16 oz bottle was 15 something, so I figured what the hell. At least this way I'll see what I like better. Menz polishes aren't hard to sell/trade.

11. Reflect

You are my favorite guinea pig.

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I agree. There hasn't been anything I've found that can be removed with SIP that PF won't. The nice thing about PF is that for 99.9% of our clients, once around a car with this and the appropriate pad will leave the finish LSP ready with no holos or marring. Awesome product.

13. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I have a secret crush on PF, always gets the job done...and gets it done right.

14. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

I like PF, it's a good one-step polish for lighter color cars and does a pretty good job correcting, depending on the pad of choice.

15. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Shoulda waited a little bit. I would say Powerfinish, coupled with Phil's pads that thing cuts very well and leaves a very nice finish.

SIP cuts the same as Powerfinish, but finishes down like ass. Also, a couple times when I used SIP, it would cake up and gum up, and I have not had that problem yet with Powerfinish.

16. pektel

What sucks is that's what I had at first. Then I downgraded to a 16 oz, and added a 32 oz of SIP.

At least I'll have both to compare.

17. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

Well, as you said, its very easy to sell menz polishes on here.

18. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

What color uber pads have you tried it with?

19. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

All of them except Black. Here's the typical results with each pad coupled with Powerfinish.

Yellow- Heavy cut, holograms expected but still light enough that one hit of 85RD will take care of them.

Orange- Good cut, personally I don't use orange, I hate how stiff it is.

Green- Cuts just as well as orange but finishes down much better, my go-to one step on med-hard paints, as long as you work it for a good amount of time it will finish hologram free. I should probably stop doing this because it's not good for my business when a client with a beat-up car pays for a one-step and gets 85-90% correction.

Blue- I like to mix polishes on Blue, so it's usually mixed with 106FA or 85RD. I used it on this G35 - http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f47/d752-2006-g35-coupe-pics-vid-11384.html To achieve about 80-85% correction(1-step) with no holograms. 106FA and 85RD mixed was only giving me about 55-60% correction, put a couple drops of PF added to the 85RD and boom, more cut, same finish.

Power finish is by far my most used polish. Just make sure that if you aren't following it up with anything, that you work it for a good, long amount of time. If you just try and half-ass a one-step and polish for a minute with the PF, you'll get holograms. Sounds scary but it's really not.

20. pektel

I can't wait to get it!

I just landed 4 vehicles to do. I'll have plenty of practice with both to determine which I like better :D