Potential Car Purchase- Need Input

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by GDAL, Mar 1, 2013.

1. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Guys,

I'm currently shopping for a used vehicle. I have a budget of 16k-17k out the door. I'm looking for a sedan only. I'm a fairly large guy 6'3" 275lbs, so I'm looking for a midsize vehicle. I currently have a 2000 Nissan Maxima. Looking for a reliable, but somewhat fun vehicle.

These are the cars that interest me (in no particular order):

1. Acura TSX (concerned about the timing chain issues on the K-series engines though)
    2. Toyota Avalon (grandpa's car, but comfortable)
    3. Camry SE V6 (meh)
    4. Volkswagen Passat (looks like a fun car, but I have read mixed reviews abou them. Even my VW dealership gave me a meh on reliability)

What other options do you guys think I should consider?

TIA,
    GDAL

2. vegas911gts

vegas911gts Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I probably would go for the avalon. They are big so you would be comfortable in it and it would be reliable. Or you could get a mid 2000s bmw 5 series. No idea how reliable they are and repairs would be certainly higher than the maxima, but would be a lot nicer car to drive.

3. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I'm leaning towards the TSX or avalon. The TSX is comfortable too, but I have read stories of stretched timing chains.

My wife has a toyota with the 3.3 engine and it has been bulletproof. I know the avalon has the 3.5, that has had a couple of issues, but it should be really similar.

I rather not get a toyota, but I drive 20k a year and I have other responsibilities than spend money on fixing a car. I do all my maintenance work minus t-belts.

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Infiniti G35.

5. sweetlou

sweetlou Two Bucket System Washer

Accord v6?

6. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

I loved my '08 TSX and currently have a '12 TSX...fun, sporty, and reliable cars that hold their value really well.

In that price range I'd probably agree with the above and look at the G35 and Accord too. Stay away from the VW!

7. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

Lexus GS or Infinity M35

8. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

I will through in an American.

Cadillac ATS/CTS

9. richy

richy Guest

I wholeheartedly agree! Infi makes some great cars and that VQ3.5 was on Ward's 10 Best Engines list for like 10 years. Bullet proof drivetrain. The other thing you should also consider is the insurance. That is killer here in Canada. The Avalon might be your best bet in that regard. The G35 would be the most fun.

10. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

Its not typically the timing chain on the TSX that is the issue. The tensioner goes out and it will jump a couple teeth.

Had one that came in a couple weeks ago and Auto Tire tried telling him that he needs a new motor. He brought it to us. Our mechanic knew what the issue was, checked the compression, replaced the tensioner and BAM! Good as new!

Why not get a newer Maxima?

11. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I love G35's, but I need a vehicle that gives me better than mid 20's mpg and doesn't require premium.

They are not bad. I'm also considering the V6 model, but I have owned 5 Accords in the past and I really don't want to get another one.

I like the TSX a lot, just concerned with the timing chain issues.

Nice cars, but they are not commuter vehicles. Besides with my budget, I'll be looking at a unit with a lot of miles.

Nice cars, but out of my budget.

My 2000 maxima has a VQ30DE-K which is bulletproof. VQs are good engines, but their MPG haven't improved over the years.

How much is this repair? I don't mind buying the car if the repair is comparable to a timing chain repair.

Newer maximas don't compare to new ones (ask Sergei, he had an I30). I am trying to avoid a CVT transmission. I would buy a newer gen if they came in 6spd. My maxima is 5spd and I really like this engine and tranny combo.

12. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I was gonna get the B7 3.6 passat, but its just sterile looking. Even lowered and a nice set of wheels it is still a very boring car too look at. Thus I went to a B6.

Out of what you listed I like the TSX, its a very nice looking car, but the G35 is a far better performer IMO. RWD IIRC.

13. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

Both the GS with the 6 cyl and the M35 are excellent commuter cars and are made to go to higher milage. Dont forget, that M35 motor is the same one running in the maxima. Both cars will run well into the 200k range. My friend runs a GS with 180 on it daily from Long Island to the Bronx without worry.

14. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

I'm not 100% sure about the price. I just did the work but I want to say it wasn't that cheap... Something like $1200.

But it's not like it WILL happen, that's just worst case scenario

15. Heck

Heck Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Toyota,and Lexus. Can not go wrong....

16. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

tsx seems to be the better choice in your list, how about the toyota prius?

17. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

^^^ prius :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

18. cnut

cnut DB Forum Supporter

Audi A6.

19. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

But on a serious note, if you want performance - it will have to be V6/I6. But if you are willing to sacrifice som performance for better mpg, why not get altima? I know, its slightly boring, but should work just fine. Now if you are looking for a TOM OF INTERIOR SPACE - mercedes sclass does have a ton. It has so much space on the back seats, you can be very comfortable with 2 chicks even if you are 6'3".

20. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

The problem is not the reliability of the engine, is the fact that I'm concerned about the electronic features that tend to go out after cars hit 8 plus years. All my highway mileage is on I-95, which has tore up my Maxima's front end. I want something somewhat fun, but simple to fix that's not going to break the bank. I also need FWD or AWD because I visit family up North during the winter months. I don't have space for an extra set of winter tires and AWD cars tend to consume more gas. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I know, but I'll be buying something used with 40k-50k without knowing the previous history unless the owner keep records. This one and the Avalon are on the top of my list.

Yes, but never models are not bullet proof like the ones from 6-7 years ago.

Prius ... I ain't driving no freakin' Prius ... lmao

Tard

I'm willing to sacrifice performance for mgs, but I want a vehicle that not everyone has (like the accord or camry) and handling is better than average. Altimas are really comfortable, but I can't stand their CVT's. If I get an Altima it would be a 3.5 with the 6spd, but I'll be getting the same mileage as the G35. I'm not messing with German cars I lease one and leasing is out of the question.