Porsche threatens to sue Nissan

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by detailersdomain, Jul 18, 2010.

1. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

[​IMG]

Yet another heated marketing battle is on in the automotive industry. This time, it is between Nissan and Porsche, with BMW and Audi also involved.

The dispute is over Nissan's guerilla marketing tactics used during, and in the run-up to, the Goodwood Festival of Speed. At the UK event, Nissan emblazoned the sides of several vehicles with the logos of Porsche, BMW and Audi, with a series of tally marks next to each. The tallies represent each time a Nissan car, presumably the 350Z based on the ad shown here, beat out one of its rivals at the Nurburgring.

The use of their crest had Porsche crying foul. Their executive team told Nissan to remove the logo, or face legal action for copyright infringement. Nissan responded by replacing the shield with the word "Porsche."

Other marketing and advertising campaigns by Nissan include the lines "Kaisers Chiefed," "The Winner Hans Down," and "The Germans Came Off Wurst." A massive billboard wrapping around the Imax theatre in London has the tagline "How to beat the Germans."
    Source: guardian.co.uk

2. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

haha thats funny

3. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

hahaha great idea

audi, vw, merc all do similar advertising

porsche need to get over it

get back to creating yet another iteration of a 911....what are they up to now, 36?

4. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

lol nice. its like kids fight in kindergarden

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

350Z is fast!!!

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I cannot believe Porsche is going to waste their money on something like this. But it does bring something up that I see frequently.

Has anyone see that Hyundia commercial that mentions how much better their paint is than Mercedes S-class paint? Who gives a toss? Is a potential Mercedes buyer really going to look at that commercials and now have a look at Hyundia because it has "better paint"? No.

I think something similar is happening here as well. I personally don't see Nissan as competition (perhaps minus the GT-R) as competition to Audi, BMW or Mercedes. Many will probably disagree with me here. But most others will agree with me that someone who has their heart set on a German vehicle will not start looking at Nissan.

So why does Nissan feel the need to have a "look at me look at me" campaign like this? If I was Porsche, I would laugh at it.

Remember, it's the guys in the shit fraternities who wear t-shirts with their GIANT letters all over it. The best fraternities, well, they don't need to wear their letters because their KNOW their fraternity is the best.

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I don't know about you guys but I remember seeing two separate billboard ads by BMW and Audi. The first one featured, I believe, a 335i or M3 with the caption "Your move Audi" and then another billboard ad by Audi almost adjacent to the BMW ad featured, I believe, a RS4 with the caption "Checkmate".

Regardless of the vehicles that were actually displayed on those billboards, I actually found it humorous.

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

We'll see who's laughing in 10 years when the guys who bought 911s are still driving them with 100,000 miles on them and the GTRs have long been transformed into beer tins.

9. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

10. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Funny that you mention that, I know of some friends that could have easily afforded an exotic but opted to rather have the more practical ride, one that attracts less attention, LoL. Point is, there are people that actually do what you mention. :p:

11. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

LoL that is hilarious man

12. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

Nope, I don't believe it. Everyone knows rich people always get rich by pissing their money away and buying frivolous things! Come on, what are you trying to pull here?

:p::p::p::p:

Right back at ya!

13. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Little off topic but you should check out the service requirements for the GTR, my customer spent over $2200 on his with only 2800 miles on it.

14. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

I love you man!
    Couldnt have said it better myself.

Porsche is very protective of there brand. That logo means alot more to them than just a emblem. They are very stubborn about the use of that logo on anything they dont authorize. Its their logo, its their prerogative. That said...

Competition is the most important thing in the car market. If you dont think Porsche pays attention to what the GTR is, look at the performance numbers on the 911's since the GTR came out. Same for what BMW, Mercedes and Cadillac did after Lexus and Infiniti came out. Competition is great - we all benefit.

Joe D

15. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

so nobody caught that its 370Z on the picture and not 350Z?
    door handle on 350 is more rectangular and rear quarter window is little different, and most obvious one is rear "door" quarter panel line. 370 is more curvy. wheels too but that could be swapped over
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. domino

hahahaha gotta love the age old GTR vs 911 interweb hater debate

almost sounds like the sore loser bitter pill that makes companies sue over marketing campaigns :giggle:

17. supercharged

Hyundai might have good quality paint, but not a ride...A co-worker of mine test drove a Genesis, and said he was getting noise @ 60 MPH...and when he read around on forums about it, it's a comon problem...Now, c'mon, not even a Honda Civic will have noise @ 60 MPH...Korean cars sure aren't designed for autobahns...
    I never own/drove a Hyundai myself...

18. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

You will never see me in a Kia, or in a Hyundai. They are bottom-budget cars for a reason.

Although, I did always think it would be fun to abuse the crap out of those 100K mile warranties they promise. Buy one new, just trash it beyond an inch of its life and make sure everything is covered under that warranty.

19. supercharged

Not sure about this new GTR, Ken, but all the people that I know 240SXs, 300ZXs, and even 350Zs, lasted well over 200k miles with manual transmission and still going over Strong...actually longer then Honda/Toyota...
    Kinda weird...
    Not that I have anything about Porsche...
    GM vehicles however don't last that long...Camaros/Corvettes for instance...

20. domino

nope

in 10 years time there'll just be even more R35 GTRs at your local track day slaughtering 911 owner ego's :thumb: