Porsche Paint Correction + Clearbra Install by UCC

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Rickrack, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

This Porsche Boxster belongs to someone that lives in my town that drives by the shop often. After seeing the variety of cars we work on, he decided to stop in to see what we could do with his car to get the paint looking its best. I could tell he was very meticulous about the car, but had been using the wrong products and tools to take care of it, resulting in heavy swirling which I couldn’t help but notice when he pulled up.

After explaining my plan of attack, we scheduled the appointment and also discussed applying a clear-bra (paint protection film) to the entire front end of the car (complete hood, complete front fenders, complete front bumper and side mirrors) to protect the paint from stone chips. The great thing about covering the entire front end is that it would barely be noticeable, unless you were within a couple feet of it. Typically on a standard film install, the line across the hood and fenders are noticeable, but since the entire panels were covered, there wouldn’t be any lines/seams.

Here is what the car looked like upon arrival:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, it was heavily swirled and was going to need some extensive paint correction to get it looking like new again. I wasn’t able to take many during pictures because of my busy schedule, but I will give a quick overview of what was done

I pulled it in the shop and started by giving the wheels, tires and wheel wells an extensive cleaning. Next, I gave the exterior a handwash and claybar treatment to remove any bonded contaminants from the paint. In order to strip any previous traces of wax, sealants or quick detailers, I rewashed the exterior using a citrus degreaser until the paint no longer beaded water (a good indication that there is no protection present).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the wash process, I masked off all critical areas with masking tape and started compounding to remove the most serious defects. For this step, I used Meguiars 105 Compound using a Surbuf pad via Porter cable 7424XP. The compounding process took almost 2 full days because of the severity of swirls. This step left the paint looking very dull and hazy, which was to be expected from such an aggressive combo. Knowing that we were going to apply paint protection film to a large portion of the car, I wanted to ensure the paint was as perfect as possible before the install.

After compounding, I gave the car a thorough wash to remove any dust and product spatter from all cracks and crevices before moving onto the next step. Next up, I polished the complete exterior with Menzerna Power Finish using an orange foam pad via Porter Cable 7424XP to restore depth and clarity back to the paint. This really made a huge difference, but I decided to bring it one step further and perform an additional polishing step.

For the final polishing step, I polished the complete exterior with Menzerna 85rd using a black foam pad which really made the metallic flake pop. I gave the exterior a quick wash with degreaser to remove any polishing oils from the paint to make sure there was a perfect foundation for the film install the following day. After the film was installed, I applied Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant to the exterior and clear film, then finished up the wheels, glass, exhaust tips, etc…

Here is the final product!!

Inside Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exterior pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Great save Rick. Looks amazing!

3. Rickrack

Thanks a lot!

Porsche paint is my favorite! :buffer:

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

stunning work, Porsche came out amazing!!!

5. Rickrack

Thanks!

6. Paint Protection Orlando

Paint Protection Orlando Detailers Advertising Scheme

Amazing work as usual!

7. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

That thing was in a state. Nice correction!

8. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Nice work Rick, cant wait for the RS behind it also!

9. Rickrack

Thanks again everyone!

10. XFS

XFS Guest

Fantastic job man!!! :applause: Nice write-up!! :thumb:

11. impakt

impakt DB Forum Supporter

More pics of RS, please.

12. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Brand spanking new, lovely work on this Boxter!

13. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Looks amazing!

14. Rickrack

XFS- Thanks a lot!

impakt- Here you go! I can't take credit for the RS detail though. It was Ryans project...

[​IMG]

P1et- Thanks you very much! It really did look brand new when I was done with it...

Chas- Thank you! Basalt Black is my favorite Porsche color to work on.

15. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

great stuff Rick

16. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Rick you made the "Dirty black" (basalt) look incredible, or should I say "wicked shiny" lol, just top shelf work!!.

17. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

looks great!

18. PDJ3.2

PDJ3.2 Birth of a Detailer

Amazing turnaround. It's like they got a brand new car for just the price of a detail

19. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

Sick dude... sick :).

20. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Amazing turn around Rick !!! I know the owner was amazed