Porsche GT3 RS Detail & Clear-bra by Unique !!

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Rickrack, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

This gorgeous Porsche 911 GT3 RS was just purchased by the owner and was looking to start the car off in the right direction. As soon as the car left the dealerships lot, it was on its way to Unique Car Care for a proper new car prep as well as clear film (aka clear-bra) to the complete hood, complete fenders, complete front bumper, mirrors, rocker panels, a-pillars, partial roof and the carbon fiber rear spoiler to protect the paint against stone chips and road debris.

I had been speaking with the owner before he took ownership of the car and I had advised him to have the dealer simply remove the cosmoline protection in order to inspect the paint and leave the rest of the prep for us to handle. As most of you know, dealers are famous for inducing swirls, buffer trails, marring, etc. which would make my job more difficult. Surprisingly, they actually listened to him and weren’t able to get their dirty little hands on it!

This is what the car looked like when it arrived at the shop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I was done drooling over this beautiful piece of machinery (one of my favorite cars!), I pulled it in the shop and got to work. I started by giving the wheels, tires and wheel wells an extensive cleaning using a citrus degreaser and a variety of brushes to get every nook and cranny.

[​IMG]

I washed the exterior using a new microfiber cloth to remove any loose contaminants on the paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the car was clean, I went back and gave it an additional wash using a citrus degreaser in order to remove any products that may have been previously applied to the paint (this includes wax, glaze, sealant, quick detailers, etc..). This ensures the paint is free of any products that can cause problems when polishing. After stripping the paint with degreaser, I clayed the exterior to remove any bonded contaminants that may have been present. Most of these cars sit in the port or on the dealer lot without any protection and accumulate all kinds of fallout, so I clayed it just to be safe since we would be installing the Ventureshield film. It is extremely important that the paint as clean as possible before the film install.

I knew that the car was going to require some polishing in order to get it ready for the clear film install, but it wasn’t until I pulled the car outside in the sun that I saw some fairly serious defects present. Even though the dealership didn’t prep the car, there were some buffer trails present on the rear deck lid and rear spoiler as you can see in the pictures below. The rest of the car wasn’t too bad, but the owner wanted the car showroom new, so I inspected the paint carefully before pulling it in the shop to start polishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, it was going to need some polishing it in order to get it ready for the film install. I masked off any critical areas that could possibly be damaged from polishing, such as the GT3 RS vinyl decals on the rear quarter panel and front fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I opted for a 2-step polishing treatment to get the paint looking its absolute best. The first step was Meguiars 105 using an orange foam pad via DA, which knocked out the heavier defects. Since the M105 created lots of dust, I gave the car a quick wash in-between polishing steps to ensure all dust and product spatter was removed before moving on. For the final polishing step, I used Menzerna 85rd on a black foam finishing pad via DA, which really amped up the gloss and left the paint looking absolutely flawless.

[​IMG]

This is what the paint looked like after two polishing steps before the Ventureshield film was applied:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]]

Now that the paint was perfectly defect-free, I wiped the entire exterior down with alcohol using a fresh microfiber to ensure there was a perfect foundation for the film to adhere to. It is very important not to have any waxes, sealants or polishing oils present or it could cause problems when applying the film. The film installer arrived the following day and did an absolutely amazing job. We were both concerned with the factory decals on the front fenders and how they would look with the film applied over them, but in the end, it came out flawless. Since the owner was debating tracking the car at some point, he opted to cover the complete hood, complete fenders, complete front bumper, mirrors, rocker panels, a-pillars, partial roof and the carbon fiber rear spoiler to protect the paint against stone chips and road debris. Here’s a couple during shots of the film install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the film was installed, I applied Collinite 915 to the entire exterior (including the clear-bra) for it’s superior protection and great looks. I also applied Optimum Opti-Seal to all exterior glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All wheels (including the inners) were sealed with two coats of Rejex per request of the owner.

[​IMG]

I supplied the owner with some Plexus, a microfiber cloth and instructions on how to keep the clear-bra looking its best…

[​IMG]

And now for the after pictures of this sexy beast!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

absolutely beautiful. what an amazing machine.

3. Rickrack

I agree! This is definitely one of my all-time favorite cars... :worship2:

4. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Looks fantastic Rick! I was drooling over that car the entire time :mounty:

However, just some friendly criticism, I wouldn't use that particular border for pictures. It's a bit too flashy and was drawing my attention instead of to the actual picture, I would try a single solid color or a light gradient instead. Just a suggestion :thumb:

5. Rickrack

Thanks!

I tend to agree with you about the border, but I guess it's too late now...:shrug:

6. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Wow that car is absolutely stunning.

Great job.

7. Rickrack

Thank you!

8. Trents_goat5.7

Trents_goat5.7 Jedi Nuba

One of my all time favorite cars. I love the red accents.

9. PDJ3.2

PDJ3.2 Birth of a Detailer

That is one serious driving machine. What did you use on the tires? I feel that's the perfect look for them. Now that I think of it, it might also be the rubber compound because I've used the same product on different tires and come out with completely different results.

Nice touch with the maintenance instructions for the customer by the way.

10. Hostage1978

Hostage1978 Guest

Richard Hammond? Did the car come with the seat pulled all the way up?

Kidding aside, fantastic work. What brand of film are you running there?

11. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

Beautiful work Rick, The wheels really POP against that grey color

12. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Well well, if it's not my favorite car of all times! Absolutely gorgeous work on this machine, I cannot just how INTENSE those red wheels turned out.

13. t3stman

t3stman Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Beautiful car and awesome job!

14. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

15. Rickrack

Trents_goat5.7- Definitely one of my favorite cars too! The red accents definitely give the car a bold and "I mean business" kinda look.

PDJ3.2- I used the same dressing I always use. There is a local detail supply company I get it from. It's call Super Blue dressing from Allied Technologies here in MA. As you mentioned, these are unique tires and this tire shine on these tires looks killer.

Hostage1978- Haha! The film is Ventureshield, which is by far the best film on the market. I have tried them all, an it definitely blows away the competition. It's barely noticeable compared to the panels with no film installed.

Supertuner- Thank you! After two coats of Rejex, the red wheels really did pop.

P1et-I totally with you... Such a sinister looking car!

t3stman- Thank you!

detailersdomain-
    Thanks Phil! How's everything?

16. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Fantastic work the car looks amazing

17. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

I'm sure the owner was all smiles after seeing the finished product!

18. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Nice work ... not sure i like the color combo or the decal's over that beautiful paint :)

19. Rickrack

Thanks Sal!

Yes Brian, the owner was definitely stoked when he saw the car looking the way it should!

20. Jokeman

Jokeman Two Bucket System Washer

Car looked 10x better in person, pictures just do not do this car justice.