Porsche 911 Turbo - Paint Correction & Xpel Ultimate Self Healing Clear Bra Install

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Rickrack, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

This Midnight Blue 997 Turbo was scheduled for an exterior paint correction (including paint touch-up work), a full interior detail and complete front-end clear bra coverage.

The owner recently purchased the car with roughly 50k miles on the odometer and I have to say the car was very well taken care of by the previous owner. There was a decent amount of stone chips present, which are to be expected on a 50k mile car. In addition, the paint was beginning to show it’s age and had a considerable amount of hazing, swirling and moderate scratches which gave the paint a “dry” look to it.

Here is what the paint looked like after a thorough wash and claybar treatment…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the paint was in need of some TLC, so we got right to work polishing since we had 48 hours to perform a complete paint correction, interior detail and complete front-end clear bra install.

I don’t have and during pictures of the paint correction and detail since time was limited, but we ended up performing a 3-step polishing treatment to get the paint swirl-free and looking it’s best. The owner of the car provided a Dr. Colorchip kit which worked great at filling in any stone chips before the clear bra install the next day.

We chose to use the new Xpel Ultimate film, which has great clarity, no orange peel and has a clearcoat topcoat. The great thing about the film is that is has self-healing properties if you happen to scratch it at some point. Any type of heat (sunlight, engine heat, hot water, etc. will promote the self healing and the scratches will disappear. It also has great UV protection and will not discolor, fade or get cloudy like other films on the market. Most films look great when first installed, but typically degrade not even a year later. This film is backed with a 10 year warranty.

The install is fully custom instead of using pre-cut kits. Pre-cut kits typically have lots of critical areas that don't get covered and are prone to stone damage, not to mention lots of unnecessary seams. By performing a fully custom install, we use bulk film and are able to have all seams very close to any openings (park distance sensors, reflectors, headlights, foglights, etc.) for a cleaner install with added coverage. In addition, all edges are completely wrapped over (hood, fenders, etc.).

Now that the paint was ready for film, we started the install…

First up was the mirrors and headlights…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The headlights were removed in order to wrap the edges of the film completely over when covering the fenders in order to avoid unnecessary seams.

Applying film to the passenger side fender…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the drivers side fender….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the fenders were complete, we started on the hood. The Porsche badge was removed and the film was trimmed about ¼ inch long in order to wrap all edges for a 100% seamless install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last but not least was the front bumper. This is by far the most difficult area to wrap due to the extreme curves and having to wrap the film in all the tight areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the install was complete, I applied a sealant to all paint and clear film surfaces for long lasting protection.

Both the detail and clear bra install came out phenomenal and the customer was pleased with the final outcome.

Here are the final pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. XFS

XFS Guest

nice man!! :thumb::thumb:

3. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Looks great Rick!

4. mx22

mx22 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

great job!

5. Atherton213

Atherton213 Two Bucket System Washer

these full body/front clear bra's always amaze me

I have to install invisisheilds on ipads at work inside a pretty clean building and dust is always an issue... nm these that are HUGE and are done in a garage usually... im always currious how much dust and spots are under these after they are done... always look flawless

6. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Always enjoy seeing your work Rick! Well done sir! :worship2:

7. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Flawless as usual!

8. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Master at Work!

9. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

Really nice job on the P-car. I love the lack of Orange Peel. I have the 3M scotch guard on most of my car and it bothers me. Nexdt time i would try this. I only went with the 3M because at the time the Xpel did not have a Clear Coat top coat. Now it can be polished like paint.

10. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Outstanding !!! Great job it looks amazing.

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Outstanding Rick. You can't even tell there is a film on that car. WOW!

12. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

nicely done guys!!!

13. React

React Birth of a Detailer

Love the install and the color!

14. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

fantastic job

15. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

Thanks everyone!

16. Dmitri

Dmitri Virgin Detailer

I wish I lived nearby to MA. Your work is first-rate. I live in SoCal and am looking to get the XPel product installed on my car. Any recommendations for a good installer in the LA/Orange County area? I've heard some horror stories about some "custom" installs tha resulted in razor blade cuts to the paint, definitely want to avoid that.

Many thanks!

17. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Stunning. What a good looking car. Talk to me about the silver Porsche in the background.

18. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Love reading through these full custom installs. Your work looks unbelievable, and it intrigues me how you wrap everything with minimal cuts on the film!

19. K3RMiTdot

K3RMiTdot DB Forum Supporter

damn thats soomme amazing work on the 911.i want xpel on my car now