Polishing tight areas

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by cheeseenlo, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cheeseenlo

cheeseenlo Birth of a Detailer

hey everyone just joined a couple days ago and it has been a pleasure reading the forums.

i've been detailing for about a year now. i've been meaning to find a better way to polish those tight areas such as the side view mirrors, underneath spoilers and roof racks, and just basically places where a normal pad might not fit into. i've had problems when polishing and i would hit an edge and i would kick up a ton of dust, just plain annoying imo.

if any of you guys have any tips or comments i would greatly appreciate it.

2. keith84_uk

keith84_uk Virgin Detailer

Try to use 4" pads on the tight area and split some QD on the pads before polishing, it can reduces the amount of dusting, and becareful when polishing the edge as they tend to thiner than other area.

goodluck

3. cheeseenlo

darn i wish that the flex could handle the 4in pads. thanks for the advice keith.

4. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

The flex can handle 4" pads if you use the edge system.

dang I am going to sound like an edge sales man, but on rotary you can use the edge pads on edges. you can kind of feel where the plastic ends on some of the pads and you just use that part. I wouldn't push down very hard, but I would do multiple passes. Then follow up by hand.

5. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Edge adapter for Flex orbital is not yet to the market.. ETA is approx 2 months

6. cheeseenlo

to be honest i have not had great results with the edge pads, i mean the concept is awesome, but with the PC i couldn't really get the pads to spin properly. i felt that when one side was primed and then you wanted to switch over to the other side thats when problems started, the pad doesn't want to spin. maybe because the pads are a bit heavier than plain velcro pads. i'm not sure.

i'd be willing to use them on the flex but im not exactly sure when those adapters are coming in. i have a full set of 6in waffle ones that i barely even used. lol.