Polishing the roof of SUVS

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Pureshine, May 26, 2013.

1. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I wanted to know who really does polish the roof of large suvs or just wax/seal them. There was some discussing about this on some other forum but you guys always are a great help with things like this.

Thanks
    Todd

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Given that most of my polishing is on daily drivers and my clients aren't playing with an open budget, I'll give them the option if it's an SUV or pick up. Most of them could care less about the roof so if a light polish to clean it up is all it needs to prep it for sealing and it'll save them a few bucks, then that's what they get.

3. Pureshine

Thanks Ken :) If they want it done will you do the roof?

4. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Guess I must be living in a cave or something and didnt know that it was ok to NOT correct and polish the roof of SUV's... :)

To me, the roof is always the worst place because it gets no attention, gets all the crap falling on the vehicle first, and needs the most help...

While it is harder to do because you have to get higher than the roof, I always give it as much attention as the rest of the SUV and encourage my Clients to check it out..

At some point it should be cleaned up so that the paint will last as long as possible.

Dan F

5. belair

belair Birth of a Detailer

I always do the roof of our SUV, despite being harder to get to.

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Yes.

Although I agree Dan, I have so many people ask if they can save a few bucks by not making the roof perfect, I give them the option. I always do the minimal amount of work to bring the paint back to a level that the LSP will bond properly, but ultimately, if a client doesn't want his roof car show ready, that's his choice. I'm not going to lose a $4-500 job because of a clients preference.

7. Pureshine

Thanks Ken and Dan you guys are always a huge help to me.

8. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Having owned/own an SUV, it hate correcting/polishing the roof, however I personally do it to my own vehicles if anything it makes it easier to apply the protection. Am I looking for 100% ill be happy with 30%-70% and since most of my trucks and SUVS were lifted anything else is near impossible without a truss system.

The roof is part of a car I feel it should be done. But to what extent that is up to the customer. And I agree with Ken, its up to the client and if it is a money issue which it ALWAYS is.

DO I lie about it, no. DO I think alot of people do, yes I do. Again, 90% of the SUVs I do the owners would not know and don't care If I didn't, But there is a thing called ethics that comes into play and I am not one to lie about things to make a buck.

Its all about disclosure. Those who don't correct, polish, clay whatever a SUV roof and says they do that is on them.

9. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

The few SUVs that I have detailed for money have declined paint correction services on the roof, but they use the roof racks often. I just do a quick polish (Menz 2500/Sonax PF) and call it a day in those cases. I have always encountered really thin clear on most SUV roofs, so I tend to give options after doing paint readings.

My biggest issue with SUV roofs is the roof grooves/features. They are a pain to polish and they can tear up MF pads if you polish transitions too fast.

10. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

Funnily enough I'm in the middle of doing a 2006 range rover, and I spent the better part of Memorial Day correcting the roof. It took me over an hour just to mask the roof rack railing properly, and not to mention all the time spent moving the ladder around along with all your equipment :O

In the end, it is part of the job. Doesn't have to be quick and easy to be considered the right thing to do. Luckily, the roof had the least amount of marring because I assume the roof was often not included in the washes due to its hard to reach nature. Also the roof rails probably fended off any excessive pressure from any tunnel washes the Range saw over the years. Surprisingly it cleaned up 95% after a quick pass with a MFCD and m101 and followed up with 203S and called it a day.....after 5 hours!

11. Kilo6_one

IF the customer wants it done, or you include it in the service by all means CHARGE for it, its not easy, its not quick and you should be paid 100% accordingly.

I give serious respect to those who do the roof, regardless.

12. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

If they want you to then go for it, but give them the option because most people don't care about it since you can readily see it, and if it means saving a little cash, I'd bet the majority would be happy enough just having it clayed and sealed.

13. Kilo6_one

^^^ that is the most of the SUV/Truck owners mentality around here...........

especially due to the size, think about it. I highly doubt anyone with a suburban is out there Two bucket washing their cars on a regular basis.

14. bigaudiofanatic

bigaudiofanatic Any Rag Vehicle Washer

For my customers with SUV's I usually wash, clay, and wax the tops. I do not polish and correct them. I do tell them this and all do not care and are happy that it has way. If any inquired about getting the top corrected I would probably add a charge to do that.

On the other had with myself getting ready to take delivery of a 2002 escape in black soon. I will be doing a full correction on the entire car including the roof.